holiday in cambodia

dobro

I never listened to them before. The only impression I ever had of them was the funny name.

Then I saw that tune in the Clinic with the interesting name - Holiday in Cambodia - that's clever, I thought. I'll give it a listen. Then I found out it was a cover. Then I listened to the original.

This place rocks sometimes.

So you discovered what.....Ramones, Stooges, and now Dead Kennedys? Yeah, you're doing okay. That's a real good start.

I never used to listen to that stuff because I was always put off by the sheer amount of noise. One of the few advantages of getting older is that now I can listen cuz I can hear what they're doing and why they're doing it, so the noise is just the size of the thing and not a barrier. And then it starts to sound good.

Not to Hijack yer thread Doby ...ya might get a kick out of this one Dead Milkmen as opposed to Kennedy's

Last edited:
Gee, I dunno. Even if that's tongue in cheek, it fails lol.

The Dead Milkmen are a silly light-hearted alt-punk band. Funny lyrics, some odd arrangements, a generally light and poppy sound. That song is their big mainstream hit back in like 88 or something. Their deeper catalog is better than that, although not much different.

Not to Hijack yer thread Doby ...ya might get a kick out of this one Dead Milkmen as opposed to Kennedy's

I love that track. It has the most fail-ridden guitar solo in the history of rock, but it's still somehow brilliant. :D

I love that track. It has the most fail-ridden guitar solo in the history of rock, but it's still somehow brilliant. :D

That's actually one of the first guitar solos I ever sat down and learned to play. :laughings:

And to this day I'm not any better.

I never used to listen to that stuff because I was always put off by the sheer amount of noise. One of the few advantages of getting older is that now I can listen cuz I can hear what they're doing and why they're doing it, so the noise is just the size of the thing and not a barrier. And then it starts to sound good.

East Bay Ray has awesome tone. Their shitty old recordings don't do him justice. You might think his sound is trebly to the point of harshness based on the recordings. Not so. Live it's lush and silky and deep and well rounded sparkling awesomeness. They still play without Jello Biafra, they come to DC at least once a year. I parked myself right in front of East Bay Ray's half stack. He was fucking awesome. D.H. Peligro ain't too shabby either.

East Bay Ray has awesome tone. Their shitty old recordings don't do him justice. You might think his sound is trebly to the point of harshness based on the recordings. Not so. Live it's lush and silky and deep and well rounded sparkling awesomeness. They still play without Jello Biafra, they come to DC at least once a year. I parked myself right in front of East Bay Ray's half stack. He was fucking awesome. D.H. Peligro ain't too shabby either.

Is Klaus on bass? If so that's damn near the classic lineup.

The first few waves of punk had some really smart people in it. Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, Keith Morris, Joe Strummer, Iggy, Johnny Ramone, Greg Gaffin, Milo Aukerman, Fat Mike, even Johnny Rotten....those guys aren't dumb. They have thoughts and opinions and they can speak their mind intelligently.

The first few waves of punk had some really smart people in it. Jello Biafra, Henry Rollins, Keith Morris, Joe Strummer, Iggy, Johnny Ramone, Greg Gaffin, Milo Aukerman, Fat Mike, even Johnny Rotten....those guys aren't dumb. They have thoughts and opinions and they can speak their mind intelligently.

I would add Howard Devoto, T.V. Smith and Jake Burns to that list.

I would add Howard Devoto, T.V. Smith and Jake Burns to that list.

And the grand dad of them all G.G. Allen!

If you have poo ... fling it now.

Jesus Christ...

He's not just intelligent, he's interestingly multi-faceted as well. He looks great in glitz too.

Back