Hole in a Kick Drum's Res. Head Tip

squibble94

Nature of Force
Hey guys, I'm not sure if this is common or not, but I found an easy way to make a clean hole in a kick drum's resonant head. Basically, you find an aluminum can the size you want the hole to be, then empty it (obviously). After that, heat the rim of the can on the stove. Pick it up with oven mits, then firmly press it on the head where you want the hole to be. After that, the hole should pop right out.

As I said, I don't know how common this is, so I might sound incredibly stupid right now. :D

Well the big question is where do you place the drum head as your making that hole?

If I were to do that on the cherry/oak dinning room table and leave a 5 inch round burn hole in it. My wife would shoot first and ask question later.

I think you can just leave the head mounted on the drum, but relieve the tension quite a bit.

I've seen many a messed up kick drum hole preformed under the razor.
As you've stated in the past Greg why not get the head that is already done for you from the factory.

I'd have to imagine that it's kind of like a bunghole that isn't wiped all that good, brown/black and burnt looking all around the edges.

Oh. I see. Well I never tried it. I just saw it floating around the internet. Hahaha. But I imagine if you do it right it won't look terrible.

I've never seen the "hot can" trick look nice. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just haven't seen it. If it's gonna look bad anyway, you might as well skip the time and hassle of heating a tin can and just cut the hole with a razor blade. It takes 5 seconds. Or, if you want a functional hole that looks nice, buy a head with a pre-cut hole, or buy a port ring and cut it yourself and snap the ring in place.

Where do you guys find aluminum cans of different diameters???

They're pretty much all the same around here....

It has been mentioned here before, and it is the most sensible answer. Go to your local musical instrument retailer (or order it on-line) and get a ring that is made for the hole in the bass drum reso head. It comes with a template. Trace it out and cut it as neatly as you can with an X-acto or utility knife. The ring has an adhesive tape that is very much like an epoxy based glue so that the ring will stay positioned without buzzing because of vibrations and also it adheres the head to the ring so it will keep any bad cuts from growing into a tear later on down the road. It's simple, it works, end of story.

It has been mentioned here before, and it is the most sensible answer. Go to your local musical instrument retailer (or order it on-line) and get a ring that is made for the hole in the bass drum reso head. It comes with a template. Trace it out and cut it as neatly as you can with an X-acto or utility knife. The ring has an adhesive tape that is very much like an epoxy based glue so that the ring will stay positioned without buzzing because of vibrations and also it adheres the head to the ring so it will keep any bad cuts from growing into a tear later on down the road. It's simple, it works, end of story.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^

I cut my own holes with port rings and it looks pro and works perfect.

Back