hissy vocal microphone- solution?

Hi_Flyer

I got a Studio Projects C3. Its OK, I guess. It has served me well as my first condensor, but I think I am starting to realize its limitations. It starts to sound pretty hissy with some compression and EQ. I think its the harsh quality that plagues alot of the low end Chinese condensors... hissy harshness, not clarity. I think I am starting to hear the difference in my recordings -vs- other recordings with better vocal mics.

Anyway...

If my next big purchase is a better "next level" LDC vocal mic, where should I look? I have an Oktava MK-012. Would it be worth investing in one of those large diaphragm capsules to throw on the Oktava? The MK12 definitely seems to be a different animal than the cheaper Chinese stuff... Or should I just start saving my pennies and get something really nice??

I got a Studio Projects C3. Its OK, I guess. It has served me well as my first condensor, but I think I am starting to realize its limitations. It starts to sound pretty hissy with some compression and EQ. I think its the harsh quality that plagues alot of the low end Chinese condensors... hissy harshness, not clarity. I think I am starting to hear the difference in my recordings -vs- other recordings with better vocal mics.

Anyway...

If my next big purchase is a better "next level" LDC vocal mic, where should I look? I have an Oktava MK-012. Would it be worth investing in one of those large diaphragm capsules to throw on the Oktava? The MK12 definitely seems to be a different animal than the cheaper Chinese stuff...

To be honest, I got great results with the even cheaper (and quieter) Studio Projects B1.

One aspect of noise with compression may relate to the gain setting on the compressor, especially during quiet passages. But in any event, I have found the CAD e300 a most welcome addition to my meager mic "closet". I've used it with an FMR-RNC (Really Nice Compressor), on a few different female voices, and it's been great... (it may also be manufactured in China).

Your EQ should be used to remove hiss before you compress it?

If the hiss is coming out with EQ and compression, it's not the mic, it's the EQ and compression...

A lot of the spittiness is caused by electrolytic and ceramic caps in the signal path. Supposedly the Studio Projects mics don't use electrolytic or ceramic caps in the signal path, but that may have been a revision at some point. I'm not sure.

I... It starts to sound pretty hissy with some compression and EQ. I think its the harsh quality that plagues alot of the low end Chinese condensors... hissy harshness, not clarity. I think I am starting to hear the difference in my recordings -vs- other recordings with better vocal mics.
A no cost reference and reality cross check- try the same with the '012's since they sound fairly sweet. How do those work for you?

Without knowing the compete signal chain and exactly how things are set up and being applied it's difficult to make any suggestions.

:cool:

never tried the oktava on vocals, I probably should... why are LDCs better suited and/or more commonly used for vox than SDCs anyway?

I use the SP C3 with either a Mackie Onyx 1620 or a GT Brick. Sometimes to hard disk, sometimes to a Otari MX5050-8 1/2" 8 track.

I should clarify... I usually don't need to EQ to bring out hissiness, usually its just some compression, the mic is pretty bright as is. Maybe it is the way I dial in the compression, I could be too aggressive, but it seems so common to comp stuff really hard these days.

As far as it being common to squash things nowdays let your ears guide you not current trends. Of the vocals sound good without being heavily compressed then don't compress them, lol, or just compress them a little. If the mic is quiet before compression it is the compression not the mic that is causing your problem.

Back