Hissing with Marshall V67 and MD8

GraveRocker

I just got around to trying my Marshall V67 with my MD8. I'm running the mic with an XLR cable into an Art Tube MP for phantom power and then into the MD8 with a 1/4" cable. I tried an XLR but it distorted easily. I'm getting a good vocal through it but there's all this static like hissing thru my headphones (Sony MDR-7506). How do I get rid of the hissing? Noise gate? Better cables? This is the first time I've used a phantom powered mic with my MD8 except for battery powered ones. Thanks for any help on this problem.

Yo RockerGrave Man:'

Hey, Hey...Where have you been? Good to hear your post.

With regard to your "hissy" problema, I wonder if you have shut off the phantom power on your MD8?

If you are using an ART mic Pre, like me, that unit has phantom power and you might be creating a problema by having both phantoms turned on.

I've used XLR in to the ART and 1/4 inch out and have not had any hissing problems.

The only other thing I can think of is a bad cable? But, that would buzz rather than hiss.

Maybe Bruce from Blue Bear Studios can figure this one out.

Hang in there Rocker,

Green Hornet

I had the phantom power off on the MD8. I'm reluctant to use the MD8's phantom power due to the preamp problems of some of the older units. It definitely wasn't a buzz or hum. Would a LDC mic pickup household electrical noises from a furnace and register them as hissing or static? Could be a bad cable. I'll try some others and see if that make a difference.

Where have I been? I was busy with my band until we broke up a few days ago. I've got a couple of outdoor recording projects coming up in the next month or so and maybe some semi-serious "studio" recording for a friend's band.

Yo Rocker Man:

Nothing worse than a bad TUBE.

Have a great Fourth and success with your new projects.

PS

Bands are very difficult to keep together. All those egos clashing.

I wound up playing gigs for my last 15 years of doing gigs with my Cordovox and a drummer. I paid the drummer well and he was happy. It was a great relationship but I finally had to retire from gigs. But, I did them from high school through my "late" years.

Green Hornet

sounds like the gain structure is to hot somewhere in the chain, input on mp, output on mp, trim on md8, fader on md8.. i would look in those places..

Back