Hissing noise and low volume in Digital Recording

Almiro

Hi,

I have the following problem: a low output volume, and hissing noise in my recordings, especially when I record from a mic. Let me describe my setup; I have an MPC60 and various synths, hooked up to a mackie vlz1202, the main outputs of the mackie then go into a compressor and the outputs of teh compressor into the multitrack (with regular jack cables). The mic is also plugged into the mackie. I tried to increase the gain on the mackie or the volume, but it really makes the hissing intolerable. In addition to that the output volume of the multitrack is pretty low. Is there anything wrong with the way my stuff is set?
Thanks.

ALm

Are you tracking through the compressor? If so, you might want to try running the output from the mixing board to the multitrack. You could use the compressor during mixdown to increase the overall levels.

What is your multitrack?

The cleanest signal path will be using the inserts to go directly out of each channel into the multi.

My guess is that you are probably layering several keyboard sounds with onboard effects and sending a stereo submix to the compressor. If that's what you are doing than the compressor, if your threshold is too low, is killing your signal to noise ratio. Try recording with a shorter signal path and no compression or effects and see if that helps.

Thanks for the tips.

My multitrack is a VS-1824. I'll try your suggestions, however, my concern is that I still want to be able to record the compressed signal. The compressor I use is the HHB Fatman, and it also does preamp, so that I'd like to keep it in the pre recording position, without having to unplug and replug each time I want to record a different instrument. Does that makes sense?

Back