hiss eliminator

Jtrain42

i am micing a randall cab with a sm57 but i can't seem to get a full sound it always sounds flat...and there is major hiss but i think it may be my behringer mixer adding the hiss....now i can't buy a new mixer (no money) but can i get some sort of hiss eliminator that is under 150 or so?

First of all turn the amp down a bit.... back the mic away a little... and lower the trims on the mixer a tad... then see if you still get a lot of hiss... if not, then raise the guitar amp output level a little more and check again...

Sure, there are a lot of hiss filters, but all filters are a compromise as they also tend to affect the portion of the signal you DO want....

Far better to pay attention to your gain and levels and get it right that way.......

Jtrain42 said:
i am micing a randall cab with a sm57 but i can't seem to get a full sound it always sounds flat...and there is major hiss but i think it may be my behringer mixer adding the hiss....now i can't buy a new mixer (no money) but can i get some sort of hiss eliminator that is under 150 or so?

Yeah man, it's prob'ly that d@mn Behringer that's screwing sh#t up!

I gotta' agree with Cuzzin' Brucie on a purchasing a hiss-filter.
Try cutting the top-end via the Beh's useless eq a few db's or so or trace the source of the hiss; Is it being produced by the Randall?? Check the amp's gain structure and tone settings adj'ing when needed. Try testing the mixer by DI'ing your git, bypassing the amp, to determine if hiss is being produced by the mixer.
Good luck!

Gotta agree with the Bear on this one:

Far better to pay attention to your gain and levels and get it right that way...... ]

Can't be so quick to assume though Misterqcue.. just because it's a Behringer doesn't mean that is where you are getting the hiss. My bet is like Blue said... it is probably a too loud amp and/or mic placement, which need to work in harmony with the gain input levels and trim values. Everyone would like to destroy Behringer... except how would us poor musicians actually be able to own a mixer with such functionability and reliability?!?!?:D

13th_Omen said:
Gotta agree with the Bear on this one:

Can't be so quick to assume though Misterqcue.. just because it's a Behringer doesn't mean that is where you are getting the hiss. My bet is like Blue said... it is probably a too loud amp and/or mic placement, which need to work in harmony with the gain input levels and trim values. Everyone would like to destroy Behringer... except how would us poor musicians actually be able to own a mixer with such functionability and reliability?!?!?:D

Yo' brutha', I'm po' too!! I'm so po', I can't even afford the "OR"
in "POOR"!!
Also, being a former owner of a spanking,brand new, Beh mixer 4 years ago and realizing the EXTREME limitations,poor quality and
sub-par perf of this unit along with being able to compare it to other boards I own (stoopidly, I own a used Mackie 1202, Alesis S-24 & 32 and a Topaz 24/8; I am a SEVERE GEAR ADDICTED MONKEY-JUNKIE!!!), I am able to give a decent OPINION based on the unit! I am no expert by any means, but simply wish I had some to warn me on Beh's mixers.
As far as my statement accusing Beh's mixer of the hiss problem, I based this on the fact that Beh's mixers incorporate heavier-than-usual, power transformers that produce an inordinate amount of heat without the proper ventilation for heat dissapation,thus causing unwanted noises during tracking and mixing.

If you have no money but you have $150 for a "hiss elimiator", then hold off until you are dead broke and go buy a Mackie or something. ;)

Seriously. Save up some more money and just get a better board. Wait. What kind of cables are you using? You can drop a buck 50 right there my friend.:D

My Beh is dead quiet .. I still think it is the micing/amp volumes. I won't say that "No way, it can't be your baord" because it could be. Just try switching to another channel or try the guit direct like QCUE said to eliminate the possibility.

cord

check the cord... i have a behringer mixer... and use a sm 57 to mic my amps... i have been gettin the same exact problem as you... mine wasnt the cord.. but maybe u are lucky and ur prob is the cord...

Again, make sure it is not just the amp hissing. Trying to pinpoint the problem would be a better idea than just adding more outboard to fix it!

That's if you don't want to spend the money to get a good preamp for that SM57.

Isn't it a good idea? I second this one. Dunno what you can get in USD for 150$, but I'm pretty sure you can afford a VTB1 (I never tried it so cant necessairely say it's a good one for the price, but many people say this here)

then you'll certainely use it for many thing you want to record :)

I doubt very seriously you're going to get your gain levels set for "no hiss" with a 57 and a Behringer pre. That is a nice recipe for hiss. You can either turn the amp way down and crank the pre......HISSSS Or you can turn the pre down and crank the amp and record the amp noise. You are going to have some noise......you can minimize it but you're going to have some. Question is....Can you live with it in your mix? Is the level of noise acceptable within the context of your song. If not, get a pre that will give you enough clean gain to use a 57, or, get a more sensitive mic, like a condenser, or, get a single-ended noise killer like the Denoiser ( admittedly the worst solution but it can be a life saver in certain situations. ) Good luck.

StevenLindsey said:
I doubt very seriously you're going to get your gain levels set for "no hiss" with a 57 and a Behringer pre. That is a nice recipe for hiss.

I hardly think a 57 ingeneral has anything to do with hiss problem. Now it could well be his mic, but its not like 57s are a known hiss problem. At least I have NEVER had a problem with them. And I have used more than one.

Come to think of it. Some of the most disturbing hiss I have ever recorded was due to things like the Refridgerator, the A/C or just air that hadn't had a chance to settle down (after turning off a fan)

I didn't say the 57 of itself is noisy. It's a dynamic mic that requires a lot of gain to get the sound to a good level. If you pair it with a preamp that hisses at high levels, you are going to get hiss no matter what you do. I know that using the 57 with my Soundcraft pres, I had to really crank to get enough signal to record something decently. And the pres hiss at high levels. So...I quit using the 57 with the mixer pres and got some condensers. Huge improvement in the noise level. Even with the RNP, I have to almost max out the gain to get the required level with the 57, but then the noise level is acceptable with the RNP and the 57 sounds really good. So, like I said, until you get a high gain, low noise amp, you're going to get hiss with a 57 if you crank it. You may USE a 57....and you may record with it at a level where there's no hiss.... but you won't be getting the real sound out of the 57....it will be dull and flat because it doesn't have enough gain to make it be what it was created to be.

well my prob is

my prob is that i cant get the sound to sound rich and full, the guitarist im micing has alot of low end and moderate gain....when we took the gain down there was more hiss......

lot of low end...

I'll just say what it's going on here with "metal" band..

Guitarist ALWAYS want a lot of low end. I simply ask them if they still want a bassist in their band, the of course respond a "yes".

Then I simply explain whats going on with bass freq, and, lets say 7/10 the guitarist understand and the recorded guitar sound finally have less low end.

Same thing for the distortion. metal guitarists never have enough distortion. They aleay want to double their guitar tracks. So, a 2 guitar player band can end up with 4 Boss MetalZone tracks. They know their song, so they can understand/hear/recognize the guit parts/riffs. But it sound soooooooo fuzzy, People who doesnt play these song cant understand whats going on.

It's simple, If you plan to overdub yo parts, reduce the dist as much as you can. Once doubled, it will be more crunchy, more "hey good guit sound" and the sond will be way more clear and attractive.

SO, to finally get a point with this thread, :) have you tried to turn down the distortion button(s) ? maybe the hiss will turn down too!

fred

...and by the way, I'm a rock guitar player for..dunno..13 or 14 years now. If it mean something.

StevenLindsey said:
It's a dynamic mic that requires a lot of gain to get the sound to a good level. If you pair it with a preamp that hisses at high levels, you are going to get hiss no matter what you do.

Gottcha. My misunderstanding.:cool:

Back