HISS, CRACKLE, POP...HELP!!!!

JLLFAN

I've copied a couple of LP tracks onto my hard drive and have used Gold Wave 4.02 to remove hiss and hum. But there are still these scratches and pops left in. I was going to go through each song, second by second, and normalize each blip on the screen using Sound Forge XP 4.5, but that's very LABOR-INTENSIVE.

IS THERE A BETTER WAY?! Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

[This message has been edited by JLLFAN (edited 10-07-1999).]

If you have Sound Forge, get their Noise Reduction Plug-In. It has a tool used for "Vinal Restoration". Now it may not get rid of all of them, but it will make a big improvement.

Tips: Spray a thin coat of water on your record before you record it, but not so that the water runs off into your turntable. This will reduce some of the popping and clicking as the water will somewhat fill those small scratches. If you plan on doing a lot of vinal restorations, shop around and buy some sort of record cleaner.

One of the things that I have been doing since the mid 70's is to first... Wash the record with luke warm soapy water and a terry cloath wash cloth. This removes all of the dirt or dust. Then while playing I use an emty glass cleaner pray bottle filled with distilled water and three drops of Ivory dish soap. This helps to kill the static charge build up and lube the record surface and eliminate most but not all of the pops and clicks.

Back