Hip Hop

themellowcanary

I am 16 years old and I am into rapping with my beat man (he made most of the beats you hear).
We have put together some songs on Youtube
Please check it out and send your feedback to mello1631@cfl.rr.com
Please be gentle, I have been rapping from 6 years old, some guidance.
My father put together a recording studio in my bedroom, now he is making a vocal booth.
Please give me some advice
Thanks
Sean

Youtube
mrseanchambers:thumbs up:

He doesn't have the required number of posts to put up links.....but then, he's just a spammer pimping his stuff, that's why he never came back after making that single post two weeks ago.

I'm sure he did that on a whole bunch of audio/music sites.
Some people think that equals successful "marketing" of your music.....going around dropping single posts on forums. :laughings:

He's 16, I don't think he's trying to blow up, I think he just wants a little support and feedback.

Yeah, but even at 16, these days people know what is good form on the Internet and music/audio forums.
If he REALLY wanted or cared about feedback, he would have BEEN back at least once or twice in the last two weeks.

If he's just been lurking...."Hey Sean, speak up dude, where here, where are you"? :D

Plus, he's a rapper. Of course he's spamming. It's part of a being a "producah". :D

Go into the Rap/Hip-Hop forum. It's a like a room full of people all pumping their chests, saying "look at me". Yet, nobody's looking at anyone else. :eek:

be Gentle, I am glad that my son is into music (singing) instead of peddling drugs, I am just trying to get some insight on this end, I been a Disc Jockey for over 30 years, never do drugs, my parents guide me into music, all I am asking is questions on this end Recording), also my 16 year old son is doing great in school (A and B) student, just trying to guide him, so you guys don't have to knock me down for asking questions, just trying to get him some information, so thanks to all the ones thats hating on a teenager trying to stay on a path that is not harming anyone (like drugs), to those that are trying to help my 16 year old son (not doing drugs), thanks
Thanks
His Dad (who as never done drugs nor sell it)

be Gentle, I am glad that my son is into music (singing) instead of peddling drugs, I am just trying to get some insight on this end, I been a Disc Jockey for over 30 years, never do drugs, my parents guide me into music, all I am asking is questions on this end Recording), also my 16 year old son is doing great in school (A and B) student, just trying to guide him, so you guys don't have to knock me down for asking questions, just trying to get him some information, so thanks to all the ones thats hating on a teenager trying to stay on a path that is not harming anyone (like drugs), to those that are trying to help my 16 year old son (not doing drugs), thanks
Thanks
His Dad (who as never done drugs nor sell it)

Why are you pretending to be your father??

I am his Dad
I wouldn't let my son know I am asking for advice, he thinks I have all the answer.
Just trying to help my teen in his dream, I still need him to finish school, so this is all for my information.
kcearl, I am a Dad
Thanks

My wording could have been off, I was a little upset at some of the advice, but I know now that you guys are trying to help me, he is still in High School, so I am trying to give him positive feedback, he doesn't know I am seeking advice.
Thanks

You for got to mention that you don't do drugs 12 times in your last 2 posts.

This is a funny thread. I'm a Dad too, but my kids are a bit too young for the vocal booth. Having said that, I wouldn't post things under my kids' name in order to "help" them :wtf:. If you want real help, be real. Say "Hey, my kid who doesn't do drugs (12x;)) is an aspiring rapper. Do you think he's any good? If not what should we try to do differently..."

Hiphop is (supposed to be) about keeping it real. Giving a voice to things that mainstream media might find uncomfortable, too graphic, or just doesn't notice. You don't have to rap about guns, drugs, rims, or bitches. Just rap about what you know. I've heard hot raps about videogames. It's about talent, not topics.

PS
I find it funny as shit, that after all your "I'm really, really a (drug free) Dad," you still didn't post a link for us to actually hear "your son". If you post a link, I will listen, and give you an honest assessment. BTW - I've been producing hip hop for over 10 years, so I'm a hip hop head, not a hater.

One Last Thing:
Every single rapper that has ever entered my studio thought they were the best rapper ever. Ninety-nine percent sucked. Literally hundreds of people have wanted to "be down" so I'd give them beats, studio time, etc... but in the end I only work with a handful of people. Just because your boys say your hot, doesn't make you hot. I tell them this: You have to make a product that is so good, that (thousands or millions of) people are willing to pay to listen to it. If you aren't bringing it on that level, you're not really bringing it at all. Not only that, I've met people that were so talented it was ridiculous, but they had no work ethic. If you want to make a living rapping, treat it with the respect that you would a real job. Again, if not, you're just pretending. I'm not saying I'm the shit, I've just been around the block a few times...

Good luck, and post the link if you really want feedback
If you don't know how to post a link, ask and I will help...

Peace,

Flei

Ok... after finding your other thread in Hip Hop, I looked Mr Sean Chambers up on Youtube. Here is the unfiltered truth as I see/hear it...

MSC has some skills, but he needs way more practice. In hiphop, it's important to "hit the beat." What I mean by that is... you can have what ever flow style you want, but in order for it to sound "right" to the ears, you need to put certain syllables on the beat. It could be on the 1's and 3's, or 2's and 4's. It really doesn't matter how you go about doing it, but you've got to stay on beat. MSC strays off beat a lot. I understand that sometimes he's got a lot of words to fit in, and that's fine as long as you actually fit them in, but he's missing the beat in lots of places. Also, his voice lacks confidence. Not every rapper has to sound like Chuck D (yep, I go that far back), but you need to have confidence in your vocals. If he's going for a more relaxed "talking" kinda style, that's cool too, but then the annunciation and timing need to be that much more on point. I listened to two different songs, and they both have the same issues... It sounds like you could use some help on the production side. A producer is way more than just the beat maker. In hiphop, they can be the beat maker, engineer, and more.

My advice:
When recording the verses - break them down into multiple takes. On lyrically complex songs, I have my rappers spit every other line on the first track, then fill in the blanks with the second track. Do that as many times as it takes to get the timing right. Then, record "adlibs" over the two tracks so you can emphasize certain words, or make background comments/sounds. After you get that good, move onto the hook. The hooks really need some help. Not all hooks have to be catchy, but it is called the "hook" for a reason. Try to be as creative as possible. If you only are planning on saying one thing, don't just repeat it. This is where the producer needs to step in. You can sometimes find a good, creative solution through production as opposed to vocals, but not always. Also, layer the hook a few times to make it sound fuller. The hook should be have a different sonic tone than the verses, or it will just sound like one long-ass verse.

Tips:
Record the verses in mono - it helps the vocals sit in the middle of the mix, but record the adlibs in stereo so they sound bigger and give you the empasis you need. Record the hook in mono and stereo - depending on the sound you're looking for. I like to record different parts of the hook different ways, then combine them all (to one stereo track) - it gives variety. Make sure you use compression if you're not, just don't go crazy with it.

I am not a professional, but I've learned a lot through trial and error, and advice. All in all, MSC is a decent rapper, he just needs to work on his lyrical timing and delivery, work on the hooks (creatively, and from a recording perspective), and spend more time recording so that the finished product is the best you can make. If you get tired, take a break and come back to it, but never, ever cut corners when making a song. People's ears don't give a shit about excuses - I learned that one the hard way too... ;-)

Hope this helps...

Flei
(check out the song below, for an example of what I mean)

Back