Hip Hop/ Reggae Song. Need feedback on vocals and mix!!!!!

Emphasis

Here's soundcloud the link to what I have so far:

http://snd.sc/NeEQJx

This is my dilemma:

1.) I recently started tracking my vocals for the first time

I purposely recorded both my verses a bunch of times using different ranges of my voice.
In an attempt to achieve a fuller vocal mix.

(Listen to my song. I sound like two different people in the first and second verse. N
o effects added, besides slight EQ and just a tiny bit of revere on my vocal bus)

Now, I'm really undecided on which style sounds best with the instrumental.

I need your honest opinion on whether i should re-record verse 1 to match the style of verse 2, or vice versa.
Or should I just leave the song as is, to make it a bit more interesting?

Also note that there's a lot of syncopation in the second verse, but it just doesn't sound as "fast" as verse 1 since I'm using my mid/lower vocal range. ( A neat trick i learned from listening to btnh)

2.) I feel like there's a bit of a phasing in the mix. I'm not sure if it's coming from my bass track, the delay on my guitar, or snare rolls.
Or if it's just my ears being strained from mixing/listening to this song so much.

Anyways, thanks for listening. I look forward to all your constructive feedback

Last edited:
Hip Hop / Reggae Song. "Untitled" by Emcee Emphasis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Hip Hop / Reggae Song. "Untitled" by Emcee Emphasis on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I feel like a total jack ass for wasting everybody's time with a broken link

Idk why the link wouldn't download. it worked fine on my pc at work,
but as soon as I got home, it downloaded as an image on my mac too.

Anyways, I made a soundcloud just to share this track. I'm really hoping this will work

Thanks for listening. Look forward to all your feedback!!!

I thought the 2nd verse sounded better, but the 1st didn't sound bad. I liked both. The vocal didn't sound bad, but it's a little buried in the mix. The keys are dominating your track. The drums need to come up and they need more punch. I don't hear any bass drum and the snare is weak. The song itself sounds good, but the track doesn't have any punch. It sounds like a jazz record or something.

The drums need to come up and they need more punch. I don't hear any bass drum and the snare is weak. The song itself sounds good, but the track doesn't have any punch. It sounds like a jazz record or something.

Hey. Thanks for the feedback. I'm still in the process of mixin. Evrything so far is pretty much uncompressed so far. Maybe that's why the track's not really punchy.

I had to turn down my kick because the song is kind of bass heavy.
The bass and the kick drum were hitting the same note, and competing for the same frequency space.
Being a reggae style beat, I decided that the bass was a bit more important in the mix,
and Eq'd the kick drum down a little bit.

The snare track was another issue. My snare and snare rolls are on separate tracks.
I originally had a really punchy snare track.

The problem was that the snare rolls and delay got lost in the mix whenever my snare hit.
Again, I was going for that reggae style, and decided I liked the snare rolls better.

But you're pretty much right. The track really does lack that hip hop punch.
I knew there was something off. Just thought it might be a phasing issue.

I'ma go back into the lab, with what you said in mind.
I'm sure I'll be able to find another compromise in the mix
to make it punch, and bring the vocals out.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback

Back