hip-hop compression

pcp

i've been using VST plug-ins for all my vocal effects in Cubase, including compression, for a while now and i just wasnt getting the results i wanted so I went out and bought an external effects processor that is much more managable for me. I really want to start getting the compression i want like it seems that everyone else does so well. i was just wondering if anybody from the hip-hop side has any suggestions as for the parameters on the compressor for hip-hop vocals? what other effects do you like to use? im just looking for some creative ways to spice up the vocals a little bit hoping somebody can share their knowledge.

Compression is a funny but necessary evil. The funny thing is, the compression settings that I use, probably won't work for you as I've designed them for my voice specifically. But there are some generic parameters you can apply, and start from there. Tweaking per your own recordings...

Try maybe a 4:1 setting with a -24db Threshold. Gain = 6db, Attack= 1ms, Release = 500 ms, Lookahead time = 3ms.

Mess with the settings from there, and you can develop a nice setting specific to your voice.

good lookin

thats all i was looking for was a starting point...do you have any other effects that you like to use on your vocals? do you ever use reverb on your doubles or hooks or anything?

pcp said:
thats all i was looking for was a starting point...do you have any other effects that you like to use on your vocals? do you ever use reverb on your doubles or hooks or anything?
I use reverb on almost every vocal. I use different reverbs for overdub vocals than I do for main vocals, and an entirely different reverb for adlibs..

Reverbs can help create warmth in the vocals while giving them their very own space in the mix, to help distingish them from the main vocal track.

Hooks are a different monster all together. I typically use anywhere from 8 to 16 vocal tracks on a hook. With a few different reverbs and effects to create the presence I want the hook to have. Entirely different from the verses.

pcp said:
i've been using VST plug-ins for all my vocal effects in Cubase, including compression, for a while now and i just wasnt getting the results i wanted so I went out and bought an external effects processor that is much more managable for me. I really want to start getting the compression i want like it seems that everyone else does so well. i was just wondering if anybody from the hip-hop side has any suggestions as for the parameters on the compressor for hip-hop vocals? what other effects do you like to use? im just looking for some creative ways to spice up the vocals a little bit hoping somebody can share their knowledge.

So what external effects processor ya get. Im shopping for a single channel compressor or might go with an effects processor with compression. Still shoppin though.

Back