Higher end preamp recommendation

nuemes

Be Here Now
I've got two higher quaility preamps, an Avalon M5 & UA M610. I consider these two preamps to be total extremes of each other. I started with the M5 and was always ok with the sound. Since getting the M610 I have been much more happy with the sounds going through it compared to the M5.

I like 70's retro tones. Record mostly folk, 70's rock & jazz.

I'm thinking about selling the M5 and picking up something more along the lines of the M610. It's got to be able to drive a SM7 without distorting and cost what I can sell the M5 for ($1100 or less). I'd prefer something other than another M610 for the sake of having a different sound avail.

I've heard many people state that it's wise to have a clean pre and a dirty pre. I'm leaning towards 2 dirty pres though as I truly prefer a warmer sound to the Avalon's clarity. Maybe there is a good preamp somewhere in the middle of the M5 & M610?

Outside of these two preamps I don't know the sound of other pre's. What preamp would you choose to replace the Avalon given my preferences?

Recording mostly vox, acou & elec gtrs, bass, 70's rock & jazz drums.

Please base your answer on direct experience/use of the preamps you make mention of.

Great River
Portico 5012, 5016 or 5032 depending on your needs.
If you can solder then A12 or N72 seventh circle preamps, possibly hamptones.

Do a search on these, they have been talked about ad infinitum.

An 1176 compressor can be used direct and is a great traking device for rock.

I 'd strongly consider picking up a lunch box (6 slots @$350 used) and then getting either an API 512c (@$600 used) or an A-Designs P-1 (@$700 used). Very good, high quality, all purpose mic pres that would be quite different than either of your current pres and extremely usable, although these are not clean pres like your Avalon. Then you could add additional pres of your choice or EQs or comps as you see fit and have the $$$. There are an increasing number of really good cards available to fit 500 form lunch boxes and racks. Great River is about to release it's standard pre in this form, and A-Designs, Buzz Audio, John Hardy, Purple Audio, OSA, among others, already produce or are about to release pres, comps and EQs to fit. I have a couple LBs and have 2 512cs, a P-1, and a Purple Audio Biz (nice but more of a specialty pre), as well as a couple API 550b EQs and an API 525 comp. Lots of future expansion and flexibility with this approach.

I second the lunchbox idea. But will suggest if your savy with a soldering iron a kit from Eisen audio which can the custom designed to sound like anything you can come up with.

If you are looking for something versitle, you may want to wait for the SSL Alpha VHD to be released. It is supposed to let you have transparent, clear audio or add color. The unit is also 4 channels.

Great River (can be pushed for color or driven lightly for clean) or API for color....John Hardy for big clean sound...For the 70's tone API or Quad Eight stuff was pretty standard in the US...

Cheers,
Ray

Fishmed_Returns said:
If you are looking for something versitle, you may want to wait for the SSL Alpha VHD to be released. It is supposed to let you have transparent, clear audio or add color. The unit is also 4 channels.

Yeah! SSL is known for their great preamps! :eek:

For the "retro" sound, look to either a Neve or API. I would say most of your favorite songs where tracked via either consoles pre-amp. Once you start using them a lot, you appreciate them more and more.

NL5 said:
Yeah! SSL is known for their great preamps! :eek:
I've read that the stand alone channel strips and other SSL component offerings don't really compare with their consoles... That the real magic is in the desk's summing buss...

No personal experience though...

Reactions: NL5
MOFO Pro said:
I've read that the stand alone channel strips and other SSL component offerings don't really compare with their consoles... That the real magic is in the desk's summing buss...

No personal experience though...

I think your sarcasm detector is broken............. :D

NL5 said:
I think your sarcasm detector is broken............. :D
Obviously... :rolleyes:

I think it's the tube... anyone know of a good direct replacement that will provide a more biting sarcasm

It's got to be a real sarcasm tube, though. Those starved plate sarcasm toob designs don't really do it. :D

Reactions: NL5
3124 is good.

Brent Averil 1272 is good.

Millenium Pres are good.

Focusrite red quad is good.

If someone made me choose between the four of these, id choose the 3124 every time.

The DW Fearn looks great but is out of my price range for now. I figure the M5 will sell used for $1200 or less; that will set my budget.

A musician I know recorded with a QuadEight preamp and I love the sound he achieved with it. I'm not too keen on the idea of buying an older piece of gear though for upkeep reasons.

The API 512c with lunchbox comes right in around my budget. I have no idea what they sound like though.

Any ideas for a preamp in the sub $1200 range that sounds along the lines of the QuadEight preamps? Does the API 512c sound similar? Something else?

Back