High Pass Filter

Fred22

I have a Rode NT2 with a high pass filter. From what I can gather it's usually desirable to use the high pass on vocals to avoid a "muddy" sound. Are there any opinions on this? My mic has 3 settings: full frequency response (which I suppose is represented by the straight line), -10db pad and high pass (I bekieve this is the one which looks like an L rotated clockwise. I've posted a similar question before, but have since learned a little more about the mic. Input please!

Fred

Hi,

I use an NT2 a lot, usually I would use the bass roll off when recording vocals. I also roll off the bass on the console. There is not much to be gained recording frequencies below 100hz on a vocal track.

I use the -10dB pad when recording a loud sound source, I.E if the the mic is in front of a guitar cab or Bass cab.

Cheers

Alan.

What you are avoiding mostly is handling noise...but its better to use it when you are recording alot of tracks to get them to sit well together.

Hi,

I use an NT2 a lot, usually I would use the bass roll off when recording vocals. I also roll off the bass on the console. There is not much to be gained recording frequencies below 100hz on a vocal track.

I use the -10dB pad when recording a loud sound source, I.E if the the mic is in front of a guitar cab or Bass cab.

Cheers

Alan.

The bass rolloff is the right angle symbol, right? The far left switch position. There's the right angle, (far left position) a flat line (middle position) and the -10db pad (far right). Am I correct in assuming that the flat line is what the manual refers to as "full frequency response" or flat response.

The right angle line is the bass roll off, the flat line is no roll off and no dB cut. -10 is -10dB level reduction.

The low roll off is not really for handling noise as this type of mic should be in a stand with a suspension mount, it is to cut low end woof frequencies and low air/breath frequencies that accompany vocal. If it was a hand held mike then yes the bass roll off helps with handling noise.

One advantage of cutting these frequencies when recording is when recording with a compressor in use, the compressor would act on the low frequencies that you are not really hearing and over compress the signal, by cutting the low the compressor would only act on the frequencies you want to record.
Cheers

Alan.

The right angle line is the bass roll off, the flat line is no roll off and no dB cut. -10 is -10dB level reduction.

The low roll off is not really for handling noise as this type of mic should be in a stand with a suspension mount, it is to cut low end woof frequencies and low air/breath frequencies that accompany vocal. If it was a hand held mike then yes the bass roll off helps with handling noise.

One advantage of cutting these frequencies when recording is when recording with a compressor in use, the compressor would act on the low frequencies that you are not really hearing and over compress the signal, by cutting the low the compressor would only act on the frequencies you want to record.
Cheers

Alan.

Thanks Alan! This is exactly the information I've been trying to find. :)

bass rolloff

Fred 22,

Bass rolloff also reduces traffic noises, heat and air conditioning noises, etc.

Bass carries and penetrates. There's a whole bunch of stuff that can put unwanted bass in your recordings.

Generally speaking only a few instruments actually produce output below 100 hz. If I"m recording violin, acoustic guitar, trumpet, vocals, etc. I'll roll off the bass and avoid the problems.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Why not do the high pass more accurately within the sequencer (and record at a high bitrate)

GIGO

Why include undesired and undesirable harmonic influences---and how would you ever get rid of them?

HPFs---Don't sing on stage without 'em!

Paj
8^?

GIGO

Why include undesired and undesirable harmonic influences---and how would you ever get rid of them?

HPFs---Don't sing on stage without 'em!

Paj
8^?

Well, I'm assuming that it's simply a hardware HPF on the mic at the end of the circuit. Am I wrong?

In that case you could use a high quality VST effect and achieve better (more accurate) results.

but yeah, I just realized maybe you mean a live application

I don't even think of that since I'm an EDM producer

Well, I'm assuming that it's simply a hardware HPF on the mic at the end of the circuit. Am I wrong?

In that case you could use a high quality VST effect and achieve better (more accurate) results.

Why would you record something you don't want so you can get rid of it later using VST? Suppose you are working in analog? Also read my earlier post about recording through compression and the unwanted low frequencies acting on the compressor.

The sound should be correct at the source (microphone) so it does not have to be fixed up later.

Cheers

Alan.

Back