High noise in audio sent OUT from Allen & Heath to laptop mic port

austinm08

the pigeon knows the way.
Hi all,

I'm trying to record audio out of an Allen & Heath mixer and into a laptop mic port. I get this very obnoxious noise in the audio, which appears as soon as any device is plugged into an output on the console, whether it be the 2 TRK output or a direct out on a channel or any other output.

Am I doing something wrong? Why is this loud noise/interference appearing? I can post a sample soon if that helps.

Thanks,
Austin

Hard to say without knowing more about your setup, but at the very least you have a level mismatch. You should not be using the mic input on your laptop but rather a line level input. Try that and see what happens.

I didn't have an audio interface with me to send the audio through, so I was limited to using the mic input jack.

I suspected that could be the problem. I just didn't want to lug my 002 with me (and thus also my desktop computer).

LOL :D

I'd be surprised if the laptop didn't have a line input for the built in audio, though.

Well there is an input and output jack on the laptop. Whether it's line or mic, I'm still having the same problem...

I haven't seen a laptop with a line level input for many, many years....and the mic level inputs tend to be incredibly noisy.

There are lots of simple USB interfaces with two line inputs that would interface your mixer to a laptop...I use an M Audio Mobile Pre for exactly that but there are many others.

Maybe I should just pick up a simple little USB interface, then. I bet that would solve the problem (well I hope so, anyway).

Also, try to unplug the laptops AC Power (run on battery) and see if the noise is still there. Whenever I plugged anything into the line in on my laptop, I would get this sort of interference noise and then it would disappear when I unplugged the laptop power.

Back