High build up of subsonic frequencies?

rgraves

Hi all,

I am using a frequency analyser on occasion nowadays, and I have noticed that my 2 "non-real" tracks are putting out lots of subsonic frequencies it would seem. By non-real, I mean I am using keyboard/synth and drums via a Roland TD-20, therefor not real live instruments. They are just direct in.

So on my frequency analyser it shows very high volumes down to 5 or 10 HZ on the low notes of the keyboard and same thing with the kick on the drums. Is this normal, and should I be cutting or rolling the frequencies? I mean, it doesn't seem to sound bad, but my mixes could always use improvement all things considered, so it's hard for me to say whether cutting it is benefitting the mix, or if it actually has a more life like sound with the lower frequencies left in...

Please help!

I wouldn't base any action on the analyzer at that low frequency. depending on the analyzer's window size, the results can be flat out wrong.

if you're concerned, roll off below 20-30hz.

Sonixx said:
I wouldn't base any action on the analyzer at that low frequency. depending on the analyzer's window size, the results can be flat out wrong.

if you're concerned, roll off below 20-30hz.

try using a HPF and sweeping up in the frequencies until you hear a difference. it is quite important to clean up all this very low level stuff as it should improve your headroom by quite a bit.

MessianicDreams said:
try using a HPF and sweeping up in the frequencies until you hear a difference. it is quite important to clean up all this very low level stuff as it should improve your headroom by quite a bit.
Yip. Well said.
I just learnt about this not long ago.
I always wondered how commercial mixes sounded louder than my mixes even when they were both at the same RMS average. Its because my mixes had alot more lo mids which made up a good deal of the volume. But since our ears are more sensitive to hi mids rather than low mids, then the commercial mixes sounded louder.
I think thats right anyway. :)
Eck

Back