HiFi speakers

Big Mike B

Hey guys, I'm new to home recording and I have a question which has been bugging me for quite a while.

I started out with an audio interface (Line 6 UX2) and have since been using headphones. I'd like to be able to use speakers, the the only ones I have are a pair from an old HiFi, rated 4 Ohms and 50 watts. I know that if I connect low ohm speakers to a high ohm amp, its gonna blow. So my question is, is there a cheap way to 'convert' the speakers so that they are compatible with 8 ohm outputs?
I really dont wanna spend too much on speakers yet, as I'm only starting home recording.

Without having the speakers reconed, probably not. But have a good look at the amp -- Assuming it's solid-state, it very well may handle a 4-ohm load (although the rating might be listed at 8-ohms).

Posting the make/model of the amp might help...

I don't have amp (I think, as I said, I'm quite new to this stuff). All I have are the speakers with 2 cables each to connect them and a Line 6 UX2 USB audio interface. I planned to solder them into a stereo jack and connect them to the phones output, but I think I might need another power source.

You are correct, the USB powered device will not put out enough power to drive the speakers properly.

Check craigslist for a cheap amp locally. Bring the speakers and a MP3 player along to test.

Really? You can get a plain old amp on craigslist for under $50. If $25-50 is out of budget, you have taken up the wrong hobby! :p

Use the headphone/lineout of the USB interface into one of the inputs on the amp. Any amp will do, most modern amps will drive 4 ohm speakers just fine.

I live in the middle of nowhere in the UK so Craig's list is a no go for me. I guess I'll just buy a cheap set of studio monitors for now.

Mike, Maybe I can help.
I have a spare alesis ra100 amp near belfast.
The speaker wire clips are broken, but it has jack outputs too so no big deal.
It has ratings @ 4 and 8 ohm printer on the rear.

Might be a starting point for you.

Funny, I made a diy amp for my bedroom. It's just two little lm386s in a box with a few other odds.
It's just for background music/tv though. I wouldn't use it for anything else.

I was looking at M-Audio AV40 Studiophile Monitors, they're going at 100 pounds for a pair. They're active so I won't need an amp, so these look like the ones I'm gonna get.

Back