Hi!

Andreasl84

Hello!
If this sentence sounds "wrong" i'm sorry about it cause i'm swedish and i had to look up the words in a dictionary!

Anyways "i'm seized with dread and worry" about buying the "wrong" mic...Cause most "guess" buys i've done throught my life have ended up (after a week or two) as dust collectors...And this time i don't want that to happen! SOOOO
I've read some things on this forum for example i've seen a poll on the "best" micpreamp in it's class here..And i thought that i'm going for a M-Audio Dmp3..Since i already have a M-audio Delta 66 and it would be a nice compliment too it i believe..
But the problem is i have no clue what mic to buy...
I've only tried recording vocals once with cheap computer microphone and Shure Sm58 threw a Toneport UX1..And it sounded Awful i tried..Most things i could think of little gain..Much gain...being close to the microphone or a bit away..But pretty much the same "dead" result...So in other words..
I have no "real" experience in recording "professional sounding" vocals...When listening to those "try takes" i did with the shure and toneport..It's just such a pain and makes me really embarassed...I know i'm not a good singer..But it certainly sounds more bad then it really is...The whole "sound"..Could this be because of the preamp being bad or is the Sm58 that is not fit for serious vocalrecordings..From what i have read its more of a "performance live" microphone? Correct me if i'm wrong!

Anyway...
Considering this "disco recording" project i've been messing around with lately...I've seen and read that "condensor" mic is the way to go..
And i've also heard that swedish artist Basshunter used M-audio firewire 410(which is seen in this youtube link and some condensor mic that is also seen but i dont know which one it is..anyone of maybe could tell?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxUFwj4IBQY

I would like to archive a similar "pro" sound to my recordings (as in the video when the song is playing) and i wonder if thats possible with the Dmp3 and a good condensor mic?
I guess i have a budget on like say 300$(for the mic!) higher then that just isn't worth it since i'm just a yeah.."homerecordingguy" anyways! :D

Help out guys! I don't want to end up like i did with all my guitars (GAS Syndrome) I have 9guitars where i only play on 1 or maybe 2...........
They are all "guess" buys...Cause i'm a lefthanded and can't go to a shop and try out the guitars like "normal people" do!

Hope to get some serious answers...Consider this is going to be used for "soft" disco vocal recordings not agressive screaming or so...

Thanks a lot!

/Andreas

I'm not sure what video clip you were referencing. The link you posted was a newscast. I clicked the next video and it was a guy singing while in a paddle boat, so I'm guessing that's the one you wanted us to hear. Frankly, his voice is very processed, most likely with a Vocoder or AutoTune type software, to achieve that "mechanical" sound. You won't get that sound from any microphone or preamp, as it is done after the recording.

Good microphones in your pricerange:
Audio Technica AT4040
Shure KSM27
CAD M179

The Studio Projects C1 and Rode NT1 might also be worth a look, as they are bright sounding microphones that seem to work well for pop vocals. They can be harsh sounding on some singers, though.

Wow! Amazing the first answer really blows me away..
And yeah the news cast is about "basshunter" how he got famous for putting out his tune on his webpage over a night!
I've forgot to say that i "knew" about the autotuning..(I'm not that dumb after all that i hear the voice has been "processed")
The point anyways was that if i'm able to get that good "overall sound" as he has with a M-audio Dmp3 and a good condensor?

Thanks for the reply!

Andreasl84 said:
Wow! Amazing the first answer really blows me away..
And yeah the news cast is about "basshunter" how he got famous for putting out his tune on his webpage over a night!
I've forgot to say that i "knew" about the autotuning..(I'm not that dumb after all that i hear the voice has been "processed")
The point anyways was that if i'm able to get that good "overall sound" as he has with a M-audio Dmp3 and a good condensor?

Thanks for the reply!

Well, you will be able to get a good clean sound. Is it "pro?" Well, not really, but it won't keep you from being able to make good recordings. I have one (& a Delta 66 card) and it works just fine.

Maybe thats what sounds "pro" too me..Cause i've asked a guy to record something he had studio projects vht1 (or whatever its called) and that sounded great with NO effects reverb or whatever...Can't compare that to my crap sound..(atm)
Most likely the UX1 is "coloring" the Sm58 so it sounds worse then it is right?
Anyways thanks for the help so far..
I've been looking at http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C1Mic/

This guy! And also the only mic that i've heard in action with a M-Audio Buddy..And i think thats really "pro sounding" vocal take!!

http://www.mojopie.com/c1.html

That one...So we could say that i "set out" for a sound in that vein...

Buy the preamp

Hi,

I see you've already decided to buy the DMP3. I think that's a good decision. It is a quality piece of budget equipment. I use DMP2s and I am very happy with them.

So buy the preamp first and plug your SM58 into it. Do some more recording. My guess is you'll like your SM58 a lot better through the DMP3.

If not then you should look into other mics.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Back