Hi! Recording/live condenser?

iancl

Hey guys, I'm a drummer in a rock band. New to the forum.

I'm looking for a good quality microphone that I will be able to use underneath my snare drum, as I have every other mic I need for my kit. I want to use it for recording and live.

I was thinking that since it would hopefully be a fairly flat-range instrument condenser, I'd be able to use it to record other instruments like sax, guitar, and possibly vocals. I can't spend too much. I live in Australia so price comparisons may be different from where you are.

I've been looking at:
Shure PG81
Shure SM94
Shure KSM109 - seems great quality, but would it hold up live?
Rode NT3 - haven't found a diagram of frequency response on the website?

Thanks for all your help,

Ian

I use a AT pro37r with great results for this. You could potentially also try an Oktava MK012, though you should make sure you use a pad...

Jacob

The Shure 109 also sounds like a nice option. Just make sure that any condensor you get has a pad (assuming your aren't always playing fairly light). I have not been as impressed as many of the people on this BBS concerning the Beyer 201, but lots of folks do like it:)

xstatic said:
The Shure 109 also sounds like a nice option. Just make sure that any condensor you get has a pad (assuming your aren't always playing fairly light). I have not been as impressed as many of the people on this BBS concerning the Beyer 201, but lots of folks do like it:)

I sleep with mine under my pillow :)

Really, I would put up 201s on vocals instead of Beta 57s if they had a better solution than the foam windscreen. It sounds really nice though. Somehow I wasn't as impressed with the M69, and M88s are too dear :(

xstatic said:
My guess is that he was referring to his own fat fingers and thus the typo:D
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, I got it!! :)

So ... you found a use for that Behringer comp yet? I hope you saw that you were my personal pick even though I had to pull from detailed judging ... ;)

The Shure KSM mics are probably actually used more on stage than in the studio. Many live companies jumped right in to the KSM series when it came out, while it took a little longer to really grab the studio industry. All of the KSM mics work great on stage. They are very durable, and sound pretty darned nice:) Especially the small diaphragm mics and the KSM 32.

Man...i think youd be alot happier with a dynamic mic.
The beyer 201 fo the snare bottom is great.
Also the sm57 is great for that job.
Or perhaps the sennheiser 421.

Back