HI, My names Clueless!

Timmy Ford

Hey guys,

So I have some questions that I am sure can be answered by those much, much more knowledgable than myself. Please pardon my ignorance...Thank you in advance.

I just bought an Adad hd24 which will be arriving in a few days. My current mixer is a 16 channel fostex VM200. I am planning on upgrading the mixer in the future. The mixer has only trs 8 inputs yet has an adat input/output for the additional eight channels via optical. There is a button on the VM200 that switches from the page of trs 8 inputs to the 9-16 Adat in. I am totally lost as to word clock master and slaves and things of that nature.

So to mix down tracks I am recording I would connect the first 8 channels via trs and the other 8 via adat in optical?.

My next question, equally as stupid is due to the fact I am completely ignorant when it comes to integrating computers with my music. As you know the Adat has the Fireport that comes with the software. Put bluntly what the hell does that do and how can I benefit from it?. I would like to intergrate my stuff with my computer but don't have much of an idea on how to go about that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Not sure about your first question.

But if I remember correctly, the Fireport allows you to connect your HD24 to your computer and transfer the files via Firewire. The other option is using a CAT5 network cable (I think) which is much slower than using Firewire.

I researched the HD24 a lot a few years ago and I don't recall the Fireport being included with the HD24, but things might have changed since then.

Thanks for responding guys,

So Firewire is basically a feed that goes into any computer program to my liking? Thus can be edited? And yes the HD does have cat 5

What you describe should work. Make the mixer the clock master and set the HD24 to clock off its ADAT Lightpipe input, or connect the word clock output of the mixer to the word clock input of the HD24 and clock the HD24 off that. Word clock is more reliable for clocking than optical.

The Fireport lets you copy the tracks to your computer. You don't connect the HD24 itself, you dismount a drive caddy and connect the Fireport to it for the transfer. The Cat5 is brutally slow.

I have an HD24 and it's awesome for live recording, but with computers the way they are there's little reason to bother using it in a studio situation. For a lot less money you could have a MOTU 24i with the same input capability as the HD24, but straight into your computer where you'll have about a billion times more flexibility. There are things I do when tracking on a computer that are impossible on a stand alone recorder.

Boulder,

Due to my inexperience with computer recording and not wanting to spend alot of time learning software, I went ahead and got the Adat HD, since this is what I am used to. Tell me this though, say I needed the flexibility and editing capability in that of a computer, all I would need to do is upload these tracks to a computer program? They should be able to feed directly from the ADAT into any program for complete editing correct? Do you have any reccomendations/thoughts on this?

You'll pull the drive out of the HD24 and put it in the Fireport caddy. Once connected to the computer it should show up as a drive. Just copy and paste or drag the files to a folder on the computer. Once the files are on the computer you can import them into editing software.

Back