Hi Im James From The Bahamas I have questions concerning home recording

jamesborn54

ok I dont have a thing as of yet I want to know what all will I need to start up my lil home recording studio see I hear my songs in my head but have no beats for it I have a lil band but they R all too afraid to take the financial chance with me so im wondering what R the best and cheapest soft wares to get as well as hardware 2 start my home recording studio as well as the less costly I want to create my own beats ya C im interested in R&B and hip&hop I want to record voacals as weel as instruments such as drums and piano as well I want to create my won beats I tried the other nite using a software called fruityloops studio it had me so lost I dont kno anything bout beats or w/e but im a good explorer but it was extremely hard to do anything on it. but my mean concern is what all do I need home recording studio where I dont have to go into anyone elses studio for anything paying them for studio time

A multitrack recorder records and mixes where a mixer mixes. You don't need both it wouln't hurt to have both cause you could pack the multitracker with you in case you dont want to record at home all the time. If you go with a mixer you are gonna need other stuff (pc, soundcard, software) and it isn't as portable.

Hope that helped

Hi James,

Before you buy anything, make up your mind about the following: do you want a pc-based recording setup, or a self-contained digital mixer/recorder?
Each has its good points, but if you want to, say, record at one of your friends' place, a free-standing recorder/mixer is definitely easier to move. Plus, with a free-standing, you avoid any Windows-based software issues/conflicts. So, personally I recommend a self-contained mixer/recorder.

Check out the Tascam 2488; it records up to 24 tracks, mixes and has effects, plus it burns CDs. If this is too expensive for you, Tascam also has two new 8-tracks out (or you could get the 8-track and a sampler on the side for your beat-making.)

I have the 2488, and once you have learned its functions, it is a very intuitive machine.

Mics: Shure 57 and 58 are standard equipment around the world. Cheap, versatile, very durable.
Later you can add a cheap condenser, like a Marshall or Studio Projects mic, for vocals, if you wish.

Hope this helps,

CC

if you have a decent PC, i would go the PC route. they are way more flexable and you have way more control over what you want to do. true they are harder tomove around but you just need to decide what will suit you better. I don't move my studio around so the multrack recorder doesn't do it for me.

Back