Hi-hat

gawkman

There are plenty of posts on what to mic a snare, kick, toms, or overheads... but no hi-hat. Someone suggested that I get a condensor mic specifically for the hi-hat alone to capture the hi-frequency spectrum that it has. I just wanna hear a few opinions, I may just end up sticking a SM57 between the 2 and calling it good, but I have a soft spot for a clean and crisp hi-hat sound.....

A job for an small diaphragm condenser mic:

AKG C1000S - around $200US www.akg-actoustics.com
Audio Technica AT4041 - around $300US max.? www.audio-technica.com
Beyerdynamic MCE 93 - around $450US www.beyerdynamic.com
Crown CM-700 - around $200US? www.crownaudio.com
Earthworks SR77 - around $300US? www.earthwks.com
Elation KM201 - around $400US max.? www.ropnet.ru/pages/elation/elation.htm
Hebden Sound CM1050C - around $300US max.? no website
MBHO MBNM 440 C-L - around $300US max.? www.hifivideo.com/mbho/mikrofon.htm
Microtech Gefell M300 - around $300US? www.microtechgefell.com
Milab VM44 - around ?
Neumann KM184 - around $600 or $700US? www.neumann.com
Oktava MC-012 from The Sound Room only - $280US www.oktava.com
Pearl TL66 - around ? www.pearl.se
Shure SM-81 - around $300US max.? www.shure.com

And those are just some from the "reasonable", "budgetable" small diaphragm condenser mics.

Personally, I don't really like Audix or GT small diaphragm condensers.

Then there are some who like large diaphragms on the high-hat; like from the AKG C414 assortment. Another option might be a Neumann TLM103, Audio Technica 4033 or 4050, Rode NT-2, etc.

You're most likely fine with any of these. But to eliminate, try these of:

CM-700
MC-012
SM-81

Gawkman,

If you're trying to use as few mics as possible (minimal-mic setup), you may just want to let the overheads serve as the hi-hat mic. I've had good success with a four mic setup: AKG D112 on the kick, Shure SM57 on snare (sometimes an SM57 on the bottom of the snare), Audio Technica 4050 and 4033 as overheads. This setup produced very useable and good sounding drums and prevented us from dealing all sorts of weird phasing problems commonly associated with multi-mic setups.

We used the 4033 on the "hi-hat" side of the drum kit. We also had to lower it a little lower than an ordinary overhead setup when we wanted a "closer" hat. What I found is that there is quite a bit of hi-hat bleed from the snare mic alone. Combined with the overheads, we got a nice hat sound with everything that we wanted.

Rev E

[This message has been edited by Rev E (edited 04-27-2000).]

Money really isn't that big of an issue (if feels good to say that), although I'd rather stay out of the stratosphere. I could probably afford a 1000 dollar mic, but there are other things I can spend that money on, ya know?

i would go for more expensive over heads as a starting point, the AKG c1000s seem to be the entry level mic for overheads. if willing to spend 400 on a combination of overheads and 1000 for a hi hat mic, i think it should be the other way around. 1000 for overheads and a 400 hi hat mic.

That's basicly what I was about to say... So I have yet another question for you:

Are you planning to use your overheads and/or hi-hat mic(s) strictly for those purposes or will they be used on other things as well (other instruments or vocals or both)? And if on other things also, then will they be your "work-horse" mics on those other things as well?

Nope, I already have my "workhorse" mics.... everything else is taken care of pretty much except for the drums... the hardest part :)

Everything else will be sounding great... but I just have to have a good kit sound to match. It's heavy metal, so a big drum sound is very important.

Well since you're planning to mainly use them on drums, I suggest the matched-pair of Oktava MC-012s from The Sound Room only for $630US for the overheads. Had it been anything other than "mainly for drums", then I would have suggested soomething else.

And really depending on how much you'd like to spend on a hi-hat mic you might try:

maybe another MC-012
Neumann KM184
Microtech Gefell M300
Elation KM201
Shure SM-81

Ofcourse, you could go with a large diaphragm on hi-hat too; like an AT4033.

Back