Hi-gain "Lunchbox" Amp with Power attenuation.

Thisnameistaken

Hey guys. Wondering if I can get some advice. Here's what i'm looking for.

I'm in the market for a lunchbox style amp head with the following features:

Great clean tone and lots o' tight sounding high gain. (I play in a metal band but I like a lot of different style)

Power attenuation/watt selection/power soak. (I want to be able to practice at bedroom volumes, track on my computer, and be able to do small to medium sized gigs with it)

3 - 4 channel Foot-switch? (Basically I need to be able to go from clean to crunchy heavy and then even a little heavier still)

I don't know if I require an effects loop. I'm don't use effects much, but it would be nice to have there.

Anywhere from 15 - 50 watts should suffice for everything I want to do with it I suspect, but i'd prefer 20 +

So that's what i'm looking for folks. I've been checking out a lot of different amp heads for a while but all seem to be missing one of the things I really want, or just get complains about their clean or overdrive sounds.

Below are a couple I looked into and reasons why i'm hesitant to purchase. Any suggestions!?

The Carvin v3m. Seems like it could be a great choice for a good price, but I checked on some forums and people tend to be not to impressed with the sound of the distortion (Too compressed/unclean sounding, I guess) and I want to make sure it's a great sounding amp all around.

The Mesa Mini recto. A little over priced, but other than that seems great, except it's only 2 channels, so if i'm not mistaken I won't be able to go clean to heavy to extra heavy with the foot switch.

Engl Gigmaster. I'd prefer the 30 over the 15, but sadly the 30 doesn't have the power soak feature.

Some others i'm curious about but haven't had too much time to research are:

Orange Tiny Terror or Dual Terror or Dark Terror
Blackstar HT-20
Silverblade Hellhound 20 or Hellhound 50

Suggestions welcome! xD

The Galien Kruger 250 ML are a nice amp but it may not do everything the OP wants.I owned one years back.It's solid state if that matters.They made them in just a head and with the two small speakers.They do have a great clean with chorus and compressor on the clean channel and a gain/crunch channel with a switch for more gain.The drawback is that the chorus,compressor,and gain switches are preset and are not adjustable.

There is a slight mod you can do for more gain by turning the gain pot inside the amp(little blue wheel thingy).I had this done by the local music store i bought mine at and it is an improvement.I ran an eq pedal which helped my tone too.I never had the footswitch for it so i can't advise on it's switching capabilities.

You should also check into some of the Hughes and Kettner amps.They can do metal great and their amps have nice clean tones.If you go tube you can get an attenuator that's not built into the amp.

Back