Hi Everyone! Gonna pull my hair out too!

CTB

Hi Everyone I'm so excited be here!

Well, this is my first attempt at recording, my first attempt at Logic 9 and everything else is a first attempt too...lmao

I have to say, I'm getting the hang of Logic 9 pretty well but for a few things. The cycle markers, markers and timeline are killing me.I have no idea what the hell is going with them.
For whatever reason, I keep inadvertently chopping up my regions because of it. By the time I see one of my track regions are not playing any more (But the rest are) I've done too much to use the undo.
Grr......

That being said, I'm on the cheap.
I have an m-audio Fast Track 2 and an Apex 435. Using a 21 Mac with 8 Gigs ram, 3.07 dual core.

First thing I've done is to get the room treated with a comforters on the wall. Just a few though. Don't want it too dead.
Second is getting the drums to sound ok with the Apex 435.

Thats why I'm here. Take a listen and critique please.
I'm not a good drummer so ignore the playing please. I'm only looking for balance, levels
with bass...etc..

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• test.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
I'm not an expert by any means, but the main thing I noticed about your mix was the bass drum. It was a little bit weak. The cymbals sound good, maybe equalize the rest of the drums to sound a little more lively, but the bass drum should have a little more punch to it. Otherwise it sounds pretty good. (Now let's wait for an expert to come in and see what really needs to happen.) :)

I'm not an expert by any means, but the main thing I noticed about your mix was the bass drum. It was a little bit weak. The cymbals sound good, maybe equalize the rest of the drums to sound a little more lively, but the bass drum should have a little more punch to it. Otherwise it sounds pretty good. (Now let's wait for an expert to come in and see what really needs to happen.) :)

Thanks Packrat31306,

Yea, I struggled a bit with the kick. One thing I noticed though is that while the kick sounded a little weakthrough my headphones, when i took it out to the car, it really came through pretty well (Same with my Home theater Paradigm speakers). So I left as is. I do have a good amount of dampening in the kick. I suppose I could remove it and give it more tone and oomph.
Right now the toms sound a little dead because I busted some lugs on the reso side and took them off (Didn't want to) so they are concert toms now. They are also tuned really low. Basically just above the wrinkle limit.
I'll get some new lugs and put the reso's back on and tune them a little higher and compare.
I really struggle with drum tuning. The overtones mess me up. Even using a drum sampler and trying match a 12" sample and my 12" is a challenge to get right.

Thanks for the input!

Back