Hi, and Help!

CelesteMac

Hi all, new around here. I've been recording for several years with the set up below and a couple of weeks ago some technical problems came up that I haven't been able to solve through hours of trouble shooting. Vocals suddenly started sounding wrong, boomy, sizzly. Today I can't record vocals at all through the Scarlett. Should I post more details in a separate area? I'm at a loss and have spent so much precious music time on this already. Sniff. Thanks so much!

iMac 10.8.5, Garageband, Scarlette 2i4, MXL 3000 condenser mic, Roland keys.

Posting more details in this thread would be a good start.

Can you record anything through your interface? (ie. does it still appear to be working)

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm recording. I made a mistake in the settings when I switched channels while troubleshooting. So I fixed that, and I am recording through the Scarlett now, but with the problem that almost sounds like latency, or like it's recorded with large hall reverb. But effects are off and the 2i4 has the direct monitor pan, which I have fully anti-clockwise for input only, and in Garageband I have monitor set to off. These are the settings I've always used with good results for no latency recording.

I'm not sure but I think this problem may have started when I accidentally unplugged the Scarlett USB from the iMac while Garageband was running. (I wasn't recording vocals that day or the next few so not sure.) There was an error message and I closed Garageband and restarted.

The Scarlett is class-compliant so there are no drivers to update. I've tried a different a mic, no help. Tried both XLR inputs/channels on the Scarlett, tried shutting down and re-seating all connections, tried several song files, and new blank files. I'm not sure what else to try short of buying a new interface to see if that's the problem.

Thanks again!!

I'm not sure what else to try short of buying a new interface to see if that's the problem.

Thanks again!!

Hi there,

Try some different software first just to rule that out.
You can get reaper or audacity for free, or just use a small free app like "audio recorder" or even "linein" for mac.
Line in doesn't record but it'll let you monitor your input through the computer.

If there's a fault with the interface, one of those will prove it.
If everything works fine through those, there's an issue with garageband settings I guess.

The problem seems to be in the Scarlett.

I usually record with gain on the Scarlett at about 3 o'clock, or slightly more. But now, along with the sound quality problem, my usual gain setting gives a quieter signal on the vocal, yet the ambient noise gain seems much boosted, as if the mic pattern has changed from cardiod to omni-directional.

Here's a question that I'm afraid is dumb. When I have the Scarlett on, but no audio software is open, and I hear myself in the headphones from the 2i4, am I hearing the 2i4 pre-amp? That's the only place for the sound to come from I guess without any software open? So if it "sounds wrong" before I even open Garageband or Audacity, what does that indicate?

Thank you.

Hi,
Oh, that doesn't sound good.

Yes, if you have the monitoring knob turned all the way to input, you're hearing your mic through the preamp and nothing more.
If something sounds off at that stage, it's with the hardware.

The only other thing to consider, and I'm not sure about this, is that the scarlet may have some built in processing?
I've heard of direct monitor interfaces with built in processing for reverb or whatever. Is there any mixer software that came with the scarlett?

Failing that, could you upload a short recording to let us hear the problem?

Also, and apologies if this is insulting, but could you be singing into the back of the mic?
It was an afterthought but that would totally sound more ambient and require more gain for the same level of voice recording as before.....
It's happened before...honestly.

Oh good gracious me oh my. Bah hah hah hah. That is exactly what happened! Oh I am so happy that I don't even care how dumb I am! Wow. Heee heee heee heee. Lol. Hahahaha.

When my glee wears off, this is gonna hurt!

Thank you, Thank you!

Oh oh oh owww. If this forum has a bonehead of the month competition, I am clearly a finalist.

I guess everyone has to learn this lesson at some point. :rolleyes:

Stick around. There's actually pretty tough competition.
I doubt you'd make the top 16. ;)

LOL Another HomeBBS success! So true.
Here you go. Hands/fingers up' for how many times you've adjusted something.-- and 'liked the diff..' only to find out it was in bypass (or the 'eq or whatever.. on the wrong track?
Oh oh oh owww. If this forum has a bonehead of the month competition, I am clearly a finalist.
No.. Catch me ..if you think you can :p

LOL Another HomeBBS success! So true.
Here you go. Hands/fingers up' for how many times you've adjusted something.-- and 'liked the diff..' only to find out it was in bypass (or the 'eq or whatever.. on the wrong track?

LOL. I'm going to admit to that one.
I bet we've all done it at least once.

On the other hand, I tried a different mic as I was troubleshooting, yet I "heard" the same problem. And that mic is on a boom, so, yeah, I was singing into the front of it, lol. The opposite of placebo effect. What's that called?

---------- Update ----------

Nah, you just think it's incredible. :p

hahaha

.. The opposite of placebo effect. What's that called?
Hmm.. I get vuja de (that feeling you've never been anywhere before.? Nah that can't be right

Nah, you just think it's incredible. :p

Gads actually took me a bit to get that.. :facepalm:

Where you at now then? Still 'weak and odd noises was it?
How about different types of input. A line/direct in perhaps? Same problems? Would narrow it down some.

Back