hey

Sinistah

Plutonium Bundle Advocate
yeah yeah, i know ya'll tired of me, but fuck it1

so now it's getting cold outside and i really want to get back to recording since the fun and sun is done and here's what i need from you guys...

advice on some moderate priced shit along the lines of... (no drumroll needed)

monitors for playback/mixing

headphones for tracking that can also be good for mixing (landlord issues)

a nice single-unit rackmount so i can put my Channel Strip on

my limit is gonna be about $250-$300 on each item because i know i'll probably find em cheaper on E-Bay

peace!

monitors for playback/mixing

300 cap for a set of monitors? I've had good luck with the KRK RP-5, although they could stand to be bassier. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

headphones for tracking that can also be good for mixing (landlord issues)

You can probably easily spend 300 dollars on headphones, or 5. I've used the Sony MDR-7506 headphones for a long time with good results in both checking mixes as well as tracking because they have gorgeous clarity.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506

You could go with a 30 dollar pair of MoreMe headphones that Harvey Gearst uses, and I do have a set that are good for tracking, but they don't give an overly details high or low end to my stuff (including commercial stuff I listened to to test em), so I'd splurge. Of course, if they are going to get abused, either because you are hard on or careless with headphones, get the MoreMe's - you won't care as much when they break (which my Spnys just did after 6 years of beatiful functionality :mad:).

a nice single-unit rackmount so i can put my Channel Strip on

As for rack cases, I don't know if you can find a 1U case. 2U is the standard smallest size, as far as I can tell.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GR-Deluxe-Rack-Case?sku=544792

Pretty much anything with rails will do if you are just using it for gear in the studio - I've used the cheapo musiciansfriend.com cases in my little bedroom studio with no problems, but that's only because I rarely take them out to gig with. I've used em once or twice, and don't think they are very reliable - and I have heard (first hand) many bad stories about em. Hence, I provided a link to a decent 2U gator case - its thirty bucks more than a mf.com case and will most likely survive much, much longer.

300 cap for a set of monitors? I've had good luck with the KRK RP-5, although they could stand to be bassier. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

You can probably easily spend 300 dollars on headphones, or 5. I've used the Sony MDR-7506 headphones for a long time with good results in both checking mixes as well as tracking because they have gorgeous clarity.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MDR7506

You could go with a 30 dollar pair of MoreMe headphones that Harvey Gearst uses, and I do have a set that are good for tracking, but they don't give an overly details high or low end to my stuff (including commercial stuff I listened to to test em), so I'd splurge. Of course, if they are going to get abused, either because you are hard on or careless with headphones, get the MoreMe's - you won't care as much when they break (which my Spnys just did after 6 years of beatiful functionality :mad:).

As for rack cases, I don't know if you can find a 1U case. 2U is the standard smallest size, as far as I can tell.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-GR-Deluxe-Rack-Case?sku=544792

Pretty much anything with rails will do if you are just using it for gear in the studio - I've used the cheapo musiciansfriend.com cases in my little bedroom studio with no problems, but that's only because I rarely take them out to gig with. I've used em once or twice, and don't think they are very reliable - and I have heard (first hand) many bad stories about em. Hence, I provided a link to a decent 2U gator case - its thirty bucks more than a mf.com case and will most likely survive much, much longer.
thanks a billion, i don't know anything about rackmounts, i'm just tired of having my analog strip laying on the floor....

i'll check out the Sony headphones as well a pair of AKG's, and will probably get a pair of MoreMe's for diversity and a back-up.....

and yeah i know my cap might be a little low-end, but i'm only recording myself and just needed a few accessories to keep me in the swing of things, my PC monitors are cool for what they are, but don't give enough sonic range for me to accurately mixdown my tracks, and i need headphones because i'm 3 seconds away from stealing someones discman headphones to record, i'll probably get the phones first since thats what's holding me up from any new recordings and work on the other things shortly after......

thanks a billion, i don't know anything about rackmounts, i'm just tired of having my analog strip laying on the floor....

i'll check out the Sony headphones as well a pair of AKG's, and will probably get a pair of MoreMe's for diversity and a back-up.....

and yeah i know my cap might be a little low-end, but i'm only recording myself and just needed a few accessories to keep me in the swing of things, my PC monitors are cool for what they are, but don't give enough sonic range for me to accurately mixdown my tracks, and i need headphones because i'm 3 seconds away from stealing someones discman headphones to record, i'll probably get the phones first since thats what's holding me up from any new recordings and work on the other things shortly after......

No worries, I know all about working with this stuff on a pretty tight budget, as most people around here do :)

I know I may be frowned upon for suggesting this, but for headphones I picke dup a pair of Samson CH700 and they work pretty well for me, though I do not do mixing on them. I will use them for extra a/b purposes, but never for just only mixing.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...ns=&Search_Type=GROUP&GroupCode=sm_headphones

and, if you have some simple tools you can make a decent cheap rack, cant find a link, but I got the Raxxs 4U rails from musicains frind for like 5-10 bucks and used an extra shelve from an entertainment center and cut it up to make the unit. also doubles as a shelf for my monitor and a pre

I know I may be frowned upon for suggesting this, but for headphones I picke dup a pair of Samson CH700 and they work pretty well for me, though I do not do mixing on them. I will use them for extra a/b purposes, but never for just only mixing.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...ns=&Search_Type=GROUP&GroupCode=sm_headphones

and, if you have some simple tools you can make a decent cheap rack, cant find a link, but I got the Raxxs 4U rails from musicains frind for like 5-10 bucks and used an extra shelve from an entertainment center and cut it up to make the unit. also doubles as a shelf for my monitor and a pre
interesting, i just have on piece of analog that would need to sit on the rack, and thats only because i don't want it sitting on the floor. as far as the headphones, they would be mainly for tracking, but an alternate for mixing due to "bitchy" landlords and hollow ass walls........

Back