Hey Reel

Nah,... I don't think the writing will come off. It's permanent ink, wide tip.

I'd be afraid any remover that would remove indelible ink would also remove the paint.

I think the mixer could be cleaned up & would otherwise look fine. I'd remove all the knobs and faders & clean the top panel really well with Formiula 409 and a damp cloth.

The general condition of the mixer is semi-decent and complete. I'd assume right off the bat it probably works fine.

Y'wanna knock the guy who wrote on the mixer on the head, & see if anyone's home. :eek: ;)

I don't think you can beat it in terms of mixing power/price, at $41. ;)

Oops really works... give it a try. It smells like it would eat the paint but it doesn't. I found it after trying about everything to remove marker and labels without hurting anything. It does what goo-gone does, but faster and stuff goo-gone won't.

By the way, I didn't do the marking I was removing... I won't even write on tape reels... not even the boxes. ;)

Have you ever seen what paint remover will do to an anodized metal tape reel... ghastly! But Oops leaves it like new... "It's amazing!" (in my best Don Lepre voice.)

Attachments

• donl2.jpg
    donl2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Hey! someone forgot to write "Don't write on this mixer because it will reduce the value." What were they smokin'? :D

Il just try some good old soap and water first. I learned my lesson on this kind of thing along time ago. It seems like some cleaners wont hurt anything and some that you think will not harm anything can take the paint right off.
I didnt really need another m 30 but It looked like a fun deal to play with.

I have been using my m30 quite a bit in the last month and have grown rather fond of it. Its easy to use,and sounds descent.
I love this shit, NOw if I just had some talent :rolleyes:
And yes I would like to know what kind of an idiot rights on a good mixer like that. Any way if it doesnt work well or has some bad things going on it might make a good test unit to see if I can do some chip and capacitor upgrades to a channel card or two and try them in the good mixer.
Any thoughts on that Beck?

Herm said:
And yes I would like to know what kind of an idiot rights on a good mixer like that. Any way if it doesnt work well or has some bad things going on it might make a good test unit to see if I can do some chip and capacitor upgrades to a channel card or two and try them in the good mixer.
Any thoughts on that Beck?

What do they have in them? If 4558/60 op-amps then try 4580... a world of difference.

It looks like they are 4556 for the main one Beck. I will probably only do a couple of channels first but do you have any idea how much more current they will draw.ANd do I need to worry about the power supply keeping up?
I would like to do 4 channels. And have you ever tried this on a desk?
Thanks

Got the mixer today and first thing started to clean the funk off of it.
Besides that it was to cold from being in the delivery truck all day to plug it in. Took about 1.5 hours to clean the writing off. most of it came off with 91% alcohol, had to scrub pretty hard though. I took all of the knobs off and let them soak in hot soapy water while I working on it. I found out that the m30 faceplate comes off with just the 4 screws on top and one hex nut on one of the pots. So cleaning the face plate was simple. Being able to take it off that way all I had to do was take it to the kitchen sink and wash it with dish soap.
There is just a little shadow of the writing left on the top that I just cant get off but you have to look at just at just the right angle to see it in a bright light. The front cleaned up with no problem though.
So the big suprise was when it was all cleaned up and I plugged it in and all the meter lights worked that was a good sign. Then hooked it up to the 22-4 and bam we had audio on everything. So it turned out to be a pretty good deal. I would give the mixer about a 8.5 out of 10 cause of the scratches you can see in the photos up near the far right monitor meter.
But oh well cant expect to much out of a 25 year old mixer I guess. ;)

Attachments

• m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Oh and one thing I learned about taking knobs off. The bottom part of the sweep and pan knobs can be hard to get off sometimes. If you just turn it all the way in one direction and put just alittle pressure on it, It will click just a little and loosen up so that it will slide right off.

Herm, for 40 bucks nice going! I'm glad all things work! :)

So, did the seller pack well ?

~Daniel

Thanks guys, Yea the guy packed in a huge new box that was big enough for 3 of these mixers with that spray foam in plastic bags. So there wasnt much chance for it to get hurt.
I have no idea what Im going to do with this stuff but its fun to collect it and work on it.
Sometimes I think I would be disapointed if there wasnt something to do to the gear to get it up to par. I guess thats part of the fun of it.
Now I need to bone up on guitar so I can do some recording.

Hey, some collect classic cars or antiques .. and we vintage TEAC/TASCAM gear ... nuthin' wrong with that .. ;) It would be nice to get in an hour to record tho :D

~Daniel

Herm said:
It looks like they are 4556 for the main one Beck. I will probably only do a couple of channels first but do you have any idea how much more current they will draw.ANd do I need to worry about the power supply keeping up?
I would like to do 4 channels. And have you ever tried this on a desk?
Thanks

4580 has very low current draw. That's one reason I like them over some more exotic amps such as the 2604, which is a current hog.

The 4556 draws 8 mA, while the 4580 is 6 mA nominal and 9 mA max. It's a great match.

Here’s the a link to the data sheet for the 4580

http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/newjapanradio/ae04056.pdf

I put 4580s in my M-208 and 22-2. It's a good idea to solder in an 8-pin IC socket so you can try different chips. Do one channel at a time to see if you like it.

That's very impressive!

Y'know you just can't beat an M30 for $43+s/h. I'm glad the ink came off. I was wrong, eh?

I was tempted to bid, but I'm glad you got it anyway. Y'still have a whole basement area to fill up!

:eek:

Last edited:
I have been wanting to ask you Reel if you have a tascam reverb and what you think about it. And how would you compare it to the fostex? And I think instead of tables to put this stuff on I should have built shelves. You can use a lot less space that way. Reel where do you put all of your stuff?

And Beck could you tell me if thats all I have to do is replace the opamp or is there something else involved? I Know a little about this stuff and have put a few kits together but when it gets down to getting into the hard electronics Im half stupid. I have had my General class ham ticket for about 20 years but i have forgot most of the electronics that went with it.
Also could you recommend a good place to order the opamps from. I think Im just going to do one at first and see how it goes but I would like to get 4 of them when I order so I can save a little on shipping and minimums.
Thanks

I have the fostex reverb and I can't decide if I love it or hate it...depends on the day I guess. I hear the furman is tops.

Back