Hey need help with Metal Song - please review!

Redendever

I had my first good band come and record. Trying to make this a successful recording. So far so good. I dont hear much issues what so ever, Mixing with Mdrv600 Studio headphones, the song also sounds pretty good through the monitors.. the only thing I noticed wrong was yesterday while messin around, I burnt a copy and put it in my car, on the low tones, being the song is tuned to drop C it seem'd on the deep picking parts my speakers in my car buzzed slightly.

Using Pro Tools 7.4 Have all the plugs (diamond,Mercury bundle)
Monitors BX5 Studiophile MdrV600 Headphones

I used a DM5 for the drum set with an overhead mic.. Actually thinking about purchasing one for future drums, works well and no need for a lot of mics.

I put some reveb on the drums,overhead (slight to give a round big sound)

All I did EQ wise was put a EQ on the guitars, the only thing I notice with them is a Hum, used the direct out on his Line6 Effects head and it still gave the Hum sound.. I figure I can pull most of it out ( Help if you know how)

I also put a slight reverb on the guitar tracks.

the bass player played a little rough here and there, So I dont know if I should try and compress the bass or not?

rarely any peaks throughout the track, put a Ultramaximizer on the end of the track with the setting -.02 just to stop (limiting) from peaking.

If anyone could help that would be great!! I would also like to know if there are Any good people at mastering out there that would like to start on a small budget helping me master these bands. The studios about to take off and I have a couple bands booked and plenty more wanting to come! Thanks
-Danny McClain from Redendever Productions

Http://www.myspace.com/redendever

The SONG IS LOCATED HERE!! Thank you for uploading your file

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13365

I Also have AIM Soulbind4 Hit me up on there if you wanna pass Ideas on recording and such! Or if you would like to help me with Redendever Productions

Last edited:
I think it's more an equalization thing - eg kick drum lacks low-end, quite honestly the kick drum was my biggest concern. It sounds more like a synth drum effect.

You should probably just adjust the frequences of the drum tracks so they would fit in more with everything else.

But like I said the rest of the recording sounded superb.

No problem. I'm sure other guys on here would be able to give you more in-detail comments - I'm not any good at mixing/mastering myself by any means, but I can still hear where the things could be improved.

BTW redendever, the two songs on your myspace are flat-out awesome. I really liked the Danny McClain one.

Nice mix overall :)

My only gripe would be the drums, mainly the toms. They sound a tad too flat and dry for my taste. Try getting some reverb on them. Also I'd say that the kick is lacking on the lower end.

Other than that, well done.

Good recording. The guitars sound really good together.

I really don't know drums, so my thoughts on that should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I thought the kick sounded good. The crash cymbals sounded a little wierd, like there might be some mp3 data loss artifacts or something.

The other big thing that I noticed was that sometimes when a guitar solo started, the entire mix would get noticibly quieter.

Why would you mic an electronic drum kit? I'm hoping you tracked the module output as well, or at least saved the midi file so you can run it back through and get the samples. If not, I would say you need to re-track the drums. Drums need a wide stereo field for this style, and in this mix they are stuck in the middle. No amount of eq/compression will fix that. You need to run the stereo output of the module into your console.

If you really want them to sound good, you will want to have a separate track in protools for snare, kick, toms and cymbals. Then you can add compression to each drum instead of just a bus compressor. That way you can get a hard hitting snare and a beefier kick.

I agree with the fact that the entire mix turns down during the guitar solo, so I would turn the solo down a bit.

And second off I didnt mic an electronic drum kit, I mic'd an over head for an accoustic kit with a DM5 alesis drum brain that had a trigger system. Same Idea as korn.

Guitars sound great, but the whole thing does oddly seem to quiet down abuptly when the lead guitar kicks in...already mentioned, but odd.

I don't necessary know what the drums are supposed to sound like for this kind of deal, but I've heard a lot of similarly styled offerings here over the years, and comparitively, I agree with a prior poster that the drums, particularly the toms, seem overly dry. Holy crap that was a lot of commas!

Nice recording and a good performance.

I'm still not quite sure I get it. From what I can gather, you used a real drum kit, with triggers on the heads and cymbals? So you can mix the two later?

I'm not asking this as a "I can't believe you did that" but as a "I'm trying to get a picture of how you recorded the drums."

the drummer had a DM5 and he had triggers on all his drums, we used the overhead to pick up cymbals, I was scared in the beginning that I would get too much overflow of the toms through the mic since the DM5 was doing all the drum work but they worked decently together.. I think I can fix the drum issue with the toms, but besides the drums, I'll post it up one more time once I fix, how was the recording? what could I do to make it better?

Everything's good. The only thing that I find is that the cymbals are way too hash. Maybe just me, but I had to turn down the volume as every crash was blowing my ears off.

Back