Hey muttley....Have you seen this one!

Light

Stewart-MacDonald has surpassed even themselves in the realm of unbelivable stupid and time wasting tools!!!!!

Nut Slotting Gauge

They make, without question, some truly fantastically wonderful tools. Their Bidge Plate Repair tool is one of the most profitable things in my shop (though we had to replace the brass block that comes with it with a custom machined steel block - but whatever!), and they carry a lot of very nice tools that they didn't come up with but which are real time savers and money makers. But this thing is just moronic. First of all, it doesn't give you information which is actually useful (I don't care where the string is sitting at the first fret, I care where it is sitting at the NUT), and second of all using it would take about 10 times as long as doing it right (which isn't all that hard to learn in the first place).

I mean, I love Dan and all of them, but this thing is just a waste of effort on so many levels.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Thats one heck of an expensive set of feeler gauges!! I've always used my eyes and ears for that job.

A lot of people like the security of having device to measure with but thats not how I learned. I won't be spending my cash on one. They have produced some good tools but also almost as many useless ones. Some or the neck tension jigs and bench supports they do are a waste of time except for some very specific jobs.

this is kinda off topic sorta, but i was wondering this. ive bought stuff from stewmac a few times before. are they like a big company, or just a small business? do they do a lot of business? i would assume so, i'm just curious.

It depends what you mean by big? As far as luthier suppliers go they are about the biggest in the US along side LMI. I'm not sure who's the largest. Being in the UK I only use them for stuff I can't get here. There operation is well run and pretty slick, sometimes too slick for me..;)

Thats one heck of an expensive set of feeler gauges!! I've always used my eyes and ears for that job.

A lot of people like the security of having device to measure with but thats not how I learned. I won't be spending my cash on one. They have produced some good tools but also almost as many useless ones. Some or the neck tension jigs and bench supports they do are a waste of time except for some very specific jobs.

I figure about 25% of the tools they come up with are useful. But that is a job which really doesn't need another tool.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I figure about 25% of the tools they come up with are useful. But that is a job which really doesn't need another tool.

Light

M.K. Gandhi
And half of those are somebody elses idea that they have adapted or blatantly cribbed.;)

Well, yeah, but every now and then Dan will come up with something really useful.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

As one of my old teachers and mentors used to say, "There is no such thing as a new idea just a new way of disguising someone else's idea"..:D

He and FF do seem to be good at it though. Much better than I am and they take a lot of the leg work out of trying those ideas out.

Back