Hey Gretsch guitar players - info needed

ruebarb

Hey guys...I just bought a used 90's Gretsch Duo Jet with Bigbsy (6128T, I think - with the Filtronic pickups) - I got it from one of my favorite bands when they passed thru town.

he was wanting to make enough money to retire...I was looking for a meaningful relationship with a beautiful woman...we compromised and I bought his guitar.

Got a couple of questions for you...

1. Is it just me, or is bridge pickup out of line with the strings on the Bigsby - looks like the bottom strings line up but not the upper ones

2. Anyone know where I can find a serial number? How a website so I can identify the exact year

3. What do you think of yours?

4. What amps do you use?

I won't be able to plug it in and check it out till tomorrow...and I want to take it in and get some serious crud off the pickups. This guitar was on the road 180 days of the year...so she's seen some action. I actually don't think that's crud...could be corrosion on the pickups.

Not worried about the sound of it really - I know for a fact, having heard this guitar on the last three albums that it sounds cool and will have a nice tone...but I'm without a manual here.

RB

I recently bought a '99 6118 with a Bigsby. After you made your post I looked at mine and noticed the strings aren't directly over the pups, both pups. I didn't notice this when I bought it because I was so taken by the beautiful sound, feel, and playability. I don't think it really matters. Plus, I got a really great deal on a used 6118 that's in brand new condition.

The serial number on mine is inside, on the lable, viewable through the f-hole.

When I bought it I was testing it through a Huges & Kettner Duotone. The guitar chimes like the Bells of St. Mary's!

I'm happy!

I took it in....turns out these things have floating bridges - mine was taped down, but not quite over...so it can be moved a bit..

Also my Bigsby wasn't quite even, so he's putting a tiny shimmy in it to make it more even with the bridge.

RB

I laaaarve Gretsch. One of my friends scored a Gretsch guitar at a garage sale for $50 (australian dollars). Obviously they didn't know what they had....or they would've sold it for ALOT more. I think it was the BST model. It needed some work, but to this very day is the single most incredible guitar I've ever heard in my life. It also plays like a dream......

Gretsch is to guitars as Fender is to basses

:D

This floating bridge rig blows my mind! Just slide it over with a touch of the finger to line the strings up with the pups!

no good for me

My tech was telling me about when he pulled it off...some of those were just too loose and slid too easy..

talk about screwing up your setup in about 5 minutes...my strings are now pretty close over the neck pickup (right over the treble ones, where they should be) - and it sounds consistant, so I ain't messing with it no more...time to just start playing friggen guitar.

RB

Back