Hey Ghost of FM...question...

CMEZ

any problems with linking xlr out (from stereo buss) on the unbalanced allen & heath system 8 directly to RCA analog in's on the HHB 830 Burnit?

Both would be unbalanced, right? I'd think it should be fine.

Thanks in advance-

Chris

XLR outputs are almost alway +4db Balanced, 3 wire signals that would be on the real hot side to feed to and Unbalanced, -10db RCA pin jack, 2 conductor input.

Is this the only available output on the board?

If so, you will need to attenuate the output and convert it to an unbalanced signal by purchasing a specialty cable from your local pro audio dealer and once you obtain this cable, you will have to be very mindful of your levels on the CD recorder and on the output of the mixer.

If the HHB offers balanced, XLR, 3 wire, +4db input connections, ignore the previous paragraph and connect it with a set of standard XLR to XLR/Canon connector fitted cables and proceed as normal.

Where are you getting the idea that these connectors are not balanced connections?

Cheers! :)

Yeah, it's pin 3 hot, this one.

So I'm a little confused...this is the first old school board I've ever had, so I'm afraid I'm still not understanding.

So I CANNOT just either build or purchase female XLR to RCA cables to run straight out from the stereo buss (xlr) to the stereo ins on the HHB CD burner (rca)?

Chris

The signal is going to be too hot for the CD burner if you do that.

Doesn't that board have a "mix B", and "mix B" L/R 1/4 inch unbalanced outs?

If so then use that. 1/4 inch to RCA cables.

So it won't have the same level as the main outs, but you can't use that anyway because your burner is -10.

Hmmn. I'll have to go down to the space and have a look.

In the instructions for the burner, it diagrammed the hook-up as straight out of the 2 buss. My only question was with this being pin 3 hot....

Chris

Looks like the best way may be a 'tape out' or 'mix b' outs, I'm gonna try that.

Thanks for all the help guys-this old board sure ain't a Mackie (in all ways, both GOOD and bad!)

I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

Chris

aha. Problem solved.

There's a 'stereo out' 1/4" in the 'bus tie lines'. stereo 1/4" plug to RCA-works perfect.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Chris

Back