Hey Fellaz and DIYers.......

Very interesting. I might give it a try. But even paying myself minimum wage--which is all I'm worth when it comes to electronic endeavors-- it'll cost me more than an ECM8000.:D

diy

I made one and it was cool to do. At first listen it sounds a lot like the 8000 but requires more preamp gain (leading to more noise) It kinda psyched me up to make weird mini mics built into, well, all kinds of stuff!

At first listen it sounds a lot like the 8000 but requires more preamp gain (leading to more noise)

That shouldn't be too much of a problem for drum OHs or loud room mics, though.

I gotta try making em just because I also get psyched on building things like this. I bought an Allen Amp Kit from David Allen (www.allenamps.com) and built it myself instead of having him build it...not cuase it saved me a couple hundred bucks....just because I wanted to say I did it and it was the coolest thing. I guess thats a whole other gush though. Back to mics and pres:D

Yeah....I'm gonna build these!:cool:

heylow, sucka:mad:

;)

heylow, shit man, very cool links & info. The mics look like a cool project, the parts link was just plain good info and the Allen amp has REALLY got my attention. Tell me a bit about the amp.

hmm....allen amps look cool indeed..

how would you compare to a Fender deluxe/deville/twin...whatever.

I've had my eye on one of those for a while...

Or a nice Vox

which one did you go with heylow? i am checking out old flame. I want something that is good for live gigs of course....but, really for recording. So, tone savor is probably going to be too loud for my tastes for recording. I want something that i can drive the tubes harder...without killing my ears ;)

accomplice is nice too....i think I'd have a harder time paying 1,000 for it though...than like 1400 for the old flame

Aw Man...............

Don't get me started about Allen Amps!!!!

First off, I have the Old Flame head with a 2x10 cabinet. It absolutely RULES hands down. I've owned just about every fender, marshall, mesa amp and settled on the Bassman Reissue a couple of years ago. I liked the bassman but never was incredibly happy. It was like I wanted the tone I was getting, only better and more "touch sensitive" if you will. The other problem was that the amp was a one trick pony.

ENTER the ALLEN!!!!

I had read reviews and every single one was a great review....you NEVER see that happen. I emailed David Allen a bunch of times before I finally pulled the trigger to ask questions and finally, I went for it.

Never looked back, fellaz!!! Best amp I've ever owned....I got rid of the other amps and only use this one now because it's so versatile there's no need. I can get the tone of any Fender if I want it....(but better IMHO)....it's even got the "tweed" switch on the back which changes the voltage to the pre tubes. It's basicaly the difference between the cleanliness of a twin and the early breakup of the tweed stuff. Very subtle but there, indeed. I can get the Marshall Plexi tone no problem and pretend I'm Mick Ronson:D

I can't say enough good things about this amp really. I'm tough on guitar sound. Even my bandmates were blown away by the comparison to my other amps in A/B testing and to get a drummer excited about guitar tones is a real feat, let me tell you!!

Now for the best part.....David Allen is one of THE coolest guys around to deal with. His customer service and dedication to that business is second to none. His kits are bonehead simple to build with everything laid out in a color coded diagram even a 6 year old could get through AND he will answer questions all day long for free if you get stuck. I had a couple of concerns before i started so I called him and he walked me through the parts I was unsure of, never acting like I was taking up his time or like I was dumb. In fact he acts more like he's excited to talk about his stuff, which is nice in a world of big business and none existant tech support.

Sure, when I play out, the musicians wonder what the hell Allen is....until I let'er rip and then i get a lot of "hmmm, where did you get that?"

Ok...This is getting long and I've gushed enough. In short, I can't see anyone NOT liking this amp unless you're in Korn or something. It's also nice to support a small company with much love for what it does. When you call Allen Amplification, you don't get the tech support crew....you get David Allen cuz he's it!

Oh did I mention you can switch tubes from 6L6's to 6V6's to 6550s as well??? 6V6s bring down the wattage from 40 watts to 25 watts and 6550s bring it up 60 watts. Bias is done with a simple multimeter in the back. This means that with one amp, one can have a LOUD gigging machine as well as a much quieter amp for small places and recording with a simple change of tubes and twist of the bias pot......that's a about a 1 minute switch up!

And for the record....I don't work there or even know David beyond my business dealings with him. I talk him up because he and his products are the real deal period.

Let me know if I missed anything;)

heylow, sucka:mad:

:cool:

OH! One more thing!!

This is the only amp I've owned that I can honestly say is equally friendly to both my Guild Starfire and my Telecaster. It used to be that if I switched guitars, I had to fiddle with the controls but this amp is good whether you plug in single coils or humbuckers.

Yep!

heylow, I said, fool!:mad:

:cool:

I built an Allen Old Flame almost two years ago and I second everything Heylow said. Its a perfect amp for me. I am and always have been a lover of Fender Blackface tone, and this amp is the best I've ever heard.

Back