...he's been let loose with a Class 1 Laser!!!

Cooperman

Well, I've just bought a Yamaha 8x4x24 SCSI CDRW and by the looks of it, it kicks ass (I've only burnt 1 audio cd - but it plays on all 4 cd players in the house!!). Just a few questions for ya all:

I doubt I'll be using CD-RW much, but in case I do how many times realistically can you use a CD-RW before it wears out?

Will burning CD-R's at top speed (8x) introduce a greater chance of there being a glitch on the CD-R?

How much do various brands of CD-R (and CD-RW) vary? As I said, I've just had success using the Yamaha CD-R they supplied in the box - should I stick to these if I can - or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks for any help.

Hey Cooperman- at my day IT job we burn dozens of data CDs every week on Sony brand IDE drives. I have found that TDK and Verbatum seem to be good media brands. With the wear we put on our drives we find they wear out after about a year, gradually slagging more and more CDs until we have to replace them.

If you are doing data CDs and are recording from a hard drive, you should be able to run at 8X without any more faults than at 2X. I have read from many, many sources that you should never burn audio CDRs faster than 2X. The problem is that you (supposedly)wind up with "pops" and noise on the destination disc. I have burned audio CDs at up to 4X and have not had this problem, but you may want to experiment a bit to see if you encounter this situation. The same sources say that SCSI suffers less from this problem than IDE, so perhaps you will be spared. Good Luck!

Haven't even gotten close to be able to try this, but the manufacturers claim 1000 write/erase cycles. Even doing partials of 325 MB at 8X would take a long time to verify. Probably wear out your CDRW drive before you ever saw a bum CDRW disc!
Then how would you validate the test?
Which component failed and when?
So now you need other discs and other drives and you're on your way to opening a shitty test laboratory.
Just toss the disk after 500 cycles......
They're only $2.
As to brands, I've had good luck with most everything I've tried. I like Maxell for the best price/performance ratio. The cheapo ones from Taiwan called "Great Quality" are pretty worthless for audio. Fine for data archiving.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 05-22-2000).]

"Will burning CD-R's at top speed (8x) introduce a greater chance of there being a glitch on the CD-R?"

Writing at faster speeds increases the chance of buffer underrun, but if you leave your computer alone while it's writing you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't go recording any audio while writing a CD.

I use the Cdr-W's a lot
currently only getting about 200 times
a disk ...that being Ricoh but I think the Verbatim ones if you buy the dearer disks have a double coating and I find if your using the Direct CD method of burning not the Session burning method ie(Easy CD Creator) you get a more reliable disk...

Tony

Back