Hero Of The Day (old)

NTK88

Recorded and mixed this a few months ago.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=662049

Gear used in production:

Tascam DP-01
Peavy 4 channel Mixer
3 shure SM 57 mics
1 beta 52 mic
Jackson Guitars
Ariana Guitars
Crate Amps
Fender Amps
PDP FS Birch Drums
Sabian B8 / B8 Pro Cymbals
Remo Pinstripe Batter Heads
Adobe Audition
Oktava MK something (came free with tascam )

I enjoyed it. I dont know Metallica, it wasnt what I was expecting. Pretty mellow actually, very nice.

Yeah I'm not a Metallica fan either, so I have no comparative reference here. Mix wise it sounds good. The cymbals might be a bit splashy that's it. I'd like RAMI to listen to the drums on this one - he has a nice ear for drums.... I'm listening to each part individually and your panning and eq'ing has given them good separation. The overall volume and tone are good - not compressed to death and has good dynamics. Must be summer holidays - it's quiet in here at times :)

Thanks. I think this was the first song where I actualy had somewhat of a grasp on using panning and EQ and compression atleast somewhat correctly. For example not using EQ to shape the sound to make up for poor recording, but to help enhance it. Not overusing delay or reverb too much, although I do feel now that I could have used a bit less reverb but it doesnt kill the song IMO.

This is only my 10th song I have mixed so I still have tons of learning to do.
Atleast now I know im moving in the right direction.

Ha yea well this one is in the books, but in the future the stuff I post should feature vocals as we have a singer now.

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a couple of comments.

Good solid tones on the guitars. Especially the change-up around 2:20. Works real well. I like the panning with the distorted on the left and clean on the right for the intro. Don't remember if Metallica did it this way. Good playing all around, too.

I'm curious if you mixed this with headphones? To me there's not much bottom end. The kick drum sounds clicky and the bass is there but does not fill out the bottom. Headphones accentuate the bass which makes you pull them back a bit.

Love Metallica and you covered them well.

Thanks for the comments.
I always love other peoples views on what I do be it good or bad.
There is no better way to make something people like than getting input from them.

As far as how I mixed them, no I did not use headphones I used a 2.1 set up from creative with (as you might suspect) has a bass level adjuster. Add the fact that the speakers are no good for mixing to probably an incorrect bass level and you get a thinner sound :p

Sounds good for only being your 10th song mixed. The recording is pretty good. From your equipment list sounds like you only had a couple of mics for the drums, they sound real good for having limited equipment. Good work. The bass guitar doesn't seem to stand out to much though.

Sounds good for only being your 10th song mixed. The recording is pretty good. From your equipment list sounds like you only had a couple of mics for the drums, they sound real good for having limited equipment. Good work. The bass guitar doesn't seem to stand out to much though.

Ya but live and learn.
I have gotten better at this since then, especially recording wise.
I am so thrilled with the imrpovement in sound I have been able to capture.

We are planning on recording a cover of "Avon" by Queens Of The Stonage sometime in the next month or so once I get my IO for my mac book. Should yield an interesting song.

Nice build in the arrangement in the intro - the bass gets a little confused with a guitar - luckily you have some defiinition on it's top end to give clues.
I'm no fan of this band's material nor their guitar tones - but you've done a nice job.

Nice build in the arrangement in the intro - the bass gets a little confused with a guitar - luckily you have some defiinition on it's top end to give clues.
I'm no fan of this band's material nor their guitar tones - but you've done a nice job.

Ha. Thank you :cool:
I honestly feel my work has increased greatly since then, thanks to this forum and pearldrummersforum.com. Just these two resources have helped me learn a lot. My mac book arrives by wednesday I cant wait to start recording on it :D

Just the thought of being able to edit each mic on its own after recording makes me so happy :D

Mate - good luck with the macbook. I HAD to use a mac laptop for work a couple of years ago - we had three - out of the box all were massively under powered in terms of RAM and they really turned me off macs for life.

Back