here's the 3rd track from my latest effort..another metal tune

I've no expertise in this genre of metal so ignore wht you don't like from my comments.
There are some timing issues coming back from the 1st sqealing horse note. The bass! Is it there I can't hear anything in that range. the emphasis on the kick click and snare mean that there's no bottom end in the drums either. The hard panned toms are pretty weird.
The guitars aren't too loud - it's just that they're on top of a thin mix.
The turbo drive sweep over the song before the solo is really odd given the sounds.
How many guitars are playing? The density needed for this genre would mean at least 1/2 a doz tracks overlayed & build up to craete a dense bludgeoning attack. It's not evident.
Some indication of melody would also help - just as a guide and to give a sense of the dynamic you're aiming for.

I brought up the bass volume and added some more lows back into the drums.It sounds a bit fuller.Still not where i want it though.Seems bass has been giving me the most trouble in all my recordings so far.Even with my room treatment i'm not hearing it properly.It sounds ok through my monitors but when i listen back through the pc speakers everything still sounds too bright.

Here's the remix

D2m6 by Toddmc on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Good tight doubling on the guitars.

Snare sounds OK, some of the programming is robotic.

Guitars seem to be missing anything above like 3K or so. They're a little muffled.

I think the bass could still come up.

I do not like the drums and they are pretty loud, so it makes the whole mix hard to listen to. The kick and snare are not good. I'd work on those tones first.

Bass can come up even more. That'll help the guitars sound fuller too.

Guitars sound ok.

Biggest problem is it's just a boring arrangement.

The drums are way to loud. In metal most the time the guitars are supposed to be the main feature. If not it's not metal or rock n roll for that matter. These styles of music are defined by the guitar. You song is defined by the drums which sound OK, but could be much better. I would probably compare it to your favorite metal CD and try to get your mix to sound as close to it as possible as a starter. Nothing wrong with experimenting and figuring things out.

There are some timing issues here & there. And the guitars do sound much too far back in the mix and I really don't hear much bass at all. Kick & snare dominate. Then again, sometimes that's a choice that some people make. I've heard that one of Heathen's records was done with no bass at all... on purpose. And the speed of the kick, that's gotta be some of the fastest I've ever heard.

Listening to all of your tracks, D311 has the most promise as it stands. Just one man's opinion.

Thanks for all the comments.This is all really helping me learn to mix and hopefully i'll get better.So far the bass is my biggest nemesis.Every song i mix i add more bass and it still never seems to be enough.I'm still trying to get better at mic placement on the guitars.The drums were a bit quieter at first but when i remixed with adding some of the lows back in,it brought the volume up some.I'm using loops which are premixed so i can't isolate individual pieces of the kit.

Using a touch of EQ on the drums can help bring out some of the cymbals but it can also bring out other unwanted elements.The panning of the drums are already pre-determined also so i can't change anything there either.The loops do get a bit robotic at times.A lot of the times the loops aren't the right tempo for what i need.When i speed them up or slow them them down it'll affect the sound.

I can usually go up or down 5 bpm but anything more than that it'll affect the sound.I can manipulate the loops pitch a little bit to fit but it doesn't always sound natural.Eventually i'm gonna have to step up to a drum software program that'll give me more control but for now i gotta work with what i got.I'll just have to get better at using and programming them.

There's a few timing issues.If i ever decide to put vocals on these tunes i'll retrack everything.Right now i'm kind of burnt out on these songs.I wrote most of them a few years ago and just want to get back to writing some new material.I wanted to redo the songs with better drums and try and do better job of recording them.

I've attempted recording some demos with my old band in the past with 4 track cassettes and a 8 track digital recorder but they turned out pretty horrible.This project is probably the most involved i've gotten into recording yet,learning to use compression,mixing,etc.I'm playing bass on these too which isn't my best instrument.I'm probably burying the bass a little bit unintentionally.I'm learning as i go.

If you are having trouble making the bass audible with volume, than it generally means that it's fighting with the low end of your guitars. Try High passing the guitars around 100hz, and you can go even higher if you need to. Anything to make the bass more audible. Ideally, the bass and the guitar would meld into one tone, with the bass serving as the "meat" and the guitars serving as the high end information.

Back