Here's one for you all

sae

So I've started this project a LONG time ago. I mixed it once and it sounded terrible.

This mix has a way to go yet.

Some things you should know:
- The song doesn't start till 8 seconds in
- drums recorded with akg c1000's for OH and a shure sm57 on the kick (never again)
- guitar and bass and vocals with sm57 (limited budget)

I think I have noticed a problem with using the same mic for everything and that is that you seem to have the same frequencies enounciated on every track....never the less...

(click to stream, or right click "save as" to save)

Please....ANY and ALL comments are appreciated

man..... I think that a limited budget and a small mic cabinet is the least of your problems. You should start with some serious analysis. :)

I listened twice and can honestly say...."I don't get it"

yeah the mix seems really midscooped or something....it needs to be HUGE SOUNDING for this genre....hopefully some of those guys can help.....its just all sooooooo quiet....its hard to make out what it needs...well for starters VOLUME!...lol...the bass what i can get sounds good....and the drums sound like they would be great if they werent emminating from th etrunk of a car next to me on the freeway.....not a fan of the devil as a vocalist much ..but thats not really the point here is it ?....hehehe...comeon ..BLACK SABBATH .....SLUICE ....some of you BIG HUGE SOUND gettin muthas....this guy needs a sponser..for a few cents a day you can help a guy like sae...get THE BIG SOUND HE NEEDS ..

jamal

Start with a good size cut around 8k on those guitars. The distortion is chewing up your high end, and leaving nothing in the low. Or as I would prefer, deal with it on the amp and retrack it. Don't get me wrong I like heavy guitars as much as I like clean guitars, but I don't think you're paying enough attention to what you're getting out of your amp. If you want thick sounding guitars, the way to do this is not by cranking distortion. It's by carefully balancing the different frequencies available from your amp and guitar. I realize you're not going for a Dave Mathews clarity, but this could be a whole lot punchier with a more careful recording approach. So I would start by perhaps lowering some high end and distortion on the amp. Get those lows in there on the amp...you can always (I assume) cut some of it later.
I'm not a big fan of the "Death Metal" vocal to be frank, but I would suggest some compression there. There are times when it sounds as if the singer accidently started to swollow the mic because the level jumps sporatically. Drums and Guitars I would try using a reverb with a short decay, 40-50ms pre-delay, and low mix level- say 15-20%.

Just some thoughts. Not really my genre (not that I've really been able to find one yet in this lonely world), but I think these things might help a little.

Good luck!
Tom

thanks for the replies.

I put quite a bit of compression on the vocals aready, anymore and they don't sound right.

I am having a really hard time with the kick not sounding right, so I probably over emphasized the bass (under 100hz)

I can cut the guitars a bit.

thnaks again

Back