Here might be a stupid question but...

badassmak

Herbi-Whore
...I don't really care :p.

I have a fairly cheap kit, and the beater skins are worn out. I can't afford new ones at this point, so can I just switch the beater and resonants'???

No. :)

Resonant ones are usually too thin and can break if switched. Result -- two broken heads instead of one :)

I tried this out recently just for fun before switching heads since I actually don't play with the resonants on -- my drums are deep enough and get the attack-y tone I like without them one. It wasn't pretty once I got through Stairway to Heaven once or twice.

Hey thanks Dexter, much appreciated. I guess it wasn't such a stupid question after all. For now I will deal with what I have, but to ask another question, what kind of skins do y'all reccomend? I realize this may be purely subjective, but I know squat about the subject. I guess I like to play more of a rock/metal style drumming, meaning fairly aggressively. However, I don't think I will be looking to buy top of the line skins for this kit, but ya never know.

Many thanks in advance for responses you may give :).

While Dexter is correct that "normally, the resonant head is thinner than the batter head (thus swapping heads woudl not work) this is not always the case.

Many low cost drums come with the same head on the top and bottom (except for the snare). So I suggest you look at your resonant heads to confirm if they are thinner.

Regarding what heads to use - it can depend on very many factors, not the least of would be style of music, recorded tone you are looking for etc.

However, Remo Pinstripe's or Evan's G2's are both good 2 ply heads which are durable and which provide a controlled sound.

Many people prefer single ply heads for a more open tone, but you can rarely go wrong with a Pinstripe or a G2.

For the snare, by far the most used head is a Remo Coated Ambasador - however I'm a big fan of the Evans "Dry Vent" heads.

A good rule of thumb to follow for tom heads is about $1 per inch - meaning a 12" head will cost about $12. Actually, you should be able find heads for less than that (say $11 instead of $12) - depending on your market.

By the way, there is an old saying " The only dumb question is that which is not asked" - meaning there is no such thing as a dumb question.

^ I totally agree about making sure the heads are in fact thinner. Usually, kits do come with the same heads on top and bottom.

One thing to realize though is that if you use a beat up and worn out head for your resinent head, it's going to sound like pure ass! Then before not too long, you'll have to replace both top and bottoms to get any decent tones out of your drums.

Just a thought.
RF

I agree with rushfan, I you do use the resonant as a batter, you would likely be better off to use no bottom head and simply go with a single head (the "70's sound)

Alrighty, I have taken the resonaters and put them on as beaters, and beat the shit out of em for a day, and all is well. They sound 100 times better than the beat to shit ones that were in there place. I never bothered to put the beatup batters underside either.

As well, upon recording I found it easier for the overheads to pick up the toms without clipping, meaning higher levels for the cymbals. I don't even know for sure if they are tuned properly, but I did the best I could, with some not too bad results (meaning not horrible :D).

Anywho, thanks again :).

Back