Help!!!

Buffalo Bob

I am new to all of this, so please bear with me. I hate to ask stupid questions, but I just can't get my new setup to work.
I've got a C1 going into a VTB-1, into a Delta 44, into CakeHomeStudio 2002. I know I'm getting signal into the Delta, but can't seem to be able to configure the Cakewalk inputs properly. I've tried all the different selections, and get a little signal, but I have a suspicion I don't have the Delta set up right. Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Bob

Getting a little signal?
When you arm the track for recording, set your track meter range to a wide scale -70--0 to start with. If it shows but is low, the level at the pre-amp (and or sound card?) needs to come up.
How's the signal level look on the pre's meter?
(I don't know about Deltas)
Wayne

Have you opened your M-audio control panel?
I generaly leave everything all the way up and control input at the preamp where I have led's and physical controls.
Secondly I leave the pans set to center for the mono ins and panned hard on any stereo ins.
Are you using input monitoring?

OK- I've got signal and can record in Cakewalk, but cannot hear the playback. I've got the #'s 1 & 2 output from the Delta going into a stereo receiver. I know this is probably a simple routing problem, but I staill can't get any playback!

Update:

I've managed to record and playback in CW. The signal is very noisy, with a sort of fluttering sound. WTF is that?

Do you have any mute or solo buttons enabled?
What output is assigned to the main?
Do you have a main aux assigned with no effect?
Perhaps you could give us a screenshot with all the track/main/aux assignments showing.
Also what drivers are enabled in your options/audio section?

This does sound like a simple routing problem,but who knows.

Lets get you going so you can record somethng!

I really appreciate the help!

In the M-audio Control panel, in the patchbay, I have the HW Out 11/2 set to WAV Out 1/2. Under HW Out 3/4, I have HW In 1/2.
In CW Audio Options, I have the Playback Wave Device set to :1.M-audio 44 multi 1/2 - and the Record Wave Device set to 4. M-aud Delta 44 1/2.
In Input Monitoring, I have All of the Deltas selected, excluding my Santa Cruz soundcard.
There is also a short (but very noticable) delay when recording the signal.

God, I miss my 4-track!

Thanks,

Bob

1.Set that hardware in 1/2 all the way up,do your gain adjustment at the preamp/hardware stage.

2.Set your hardware out 1/2 to monitor mixer.
I have Sonar so I'm not familiar with how many mains you can run in HS,but I would use HW 1/2 for your main.

3.The delay you are hearing is probably from the input monitoring.If you can get your latency down to an acceptable level you can mute the inputs at the Delta control panel.My latency is 2.9 ms,which I find acceptable.When the inputs are'nt muted you will hear the signal first and then the signal that goes through HS.By muting the signal in the Delta control panel you only hear the one that gets processed by HS.Just remember that you have this muted or it will mess you up down the road.

I hope I'm making sense here.I totally sympathize with your remarks about the four track but you've gotten this far and you are very close to forgetting about that four track.

As for the fluttering,any time you have two cards there is potential for a conflict.Now I'm not saying this is the problem,but that's where I'd start the process of elimination.HS only supports two inputs so I'm wondering what the need for the second card is.Maybe try disabling it in the windows device manager and see if that helps.

I have a Audiophile 2496 that works flawlessly in Sonar and my suggestions are based on my setup as always YMMV.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks a million, Acidrock! I'll try these settings as soon as I get home tonight. The reason I have the Santa Cruz is because I'm using MIDI, and converting the MIDI to audio in HS. I'll try disabling it before I record audio. I will let you know how it works out.
I'm also probably going to upgrade to Sonar as well.

Bob

Damn!

Buffalo Bob said:
Hey Acidrock- I followed your advice and actually got it working! Thanks.

Bob

There goes my consecutive misleading posts streak.

At this rate I'll never catch up to Dachay2tnr!:eek: :rolleyes: :o :( :D

THAT DIDN'T COME OUT THE WAY I EXPECTED!!!!:D :D :D

What I meant to say was:

Dear Acidrock,

How are you? I am fine. I took your sage advice and it worked just like I knew it would. I wish to make this perfectly clear - I want to extend my appreciation for your help, and should anyone misunderstand what I am saying:

Let the word go forth...........
From this time and place........

When Acidrock speaks......

Even E.F. Hutton listens!:cool:

Remember, acidrock, you have done more for the cakewalk comunity by giving us this:

ALL COOL KIDS USE SONAR

moskus said:
Remember, acidrock, you have done more for the cakewalk comunity by giving us this:

ALL COOL KIDS USE SONAR

So.
Are we back to calling it Sonar now?
Sh**t, I can NEVER keep up.:p

Hey! I know. How about "so'NARrr..."
Ya know, like in "W-Nnnnn..BC".:D
Wayne

Back