Help!

apush

I recorded a band a few months ago when I first got my DPS16. It's a live recording and was only meant for my own use, just for practice with my new toy. I did a rough mix to CD and trashed the tracks (they hogged my HD) Now they want a copy and I really don't want to give it to them the way it sounds now. Is there anything I can do to improve the mix this late in the game?

Problem points I hear:
1) There is too much guitar
2) Drums are nearly invisible
3) Bass guitar isn't very "bassy"

Any ideas/suggestions?

I noticed that nobody has responded to your request for assistance and thought that I would give it a try. I don't pretend to be a Mastering Engineer so bear with me.

I listened to your song and overall its not bad for a live recording, so I downloaded it and played with it in WaveLab to see what might fatten it up a little bit. What I did was to make a couple EQ changes +3dB at 200mHz and +2dB at 2500. Then ran compression with the VST Dynamics plug-in, with the Threshold set at -12.5 and the ratio at 2:1. I also added about a 10% reverb to push the vocals back into the mix.

I am not saying that this is exactly what you need to do, as I didn't want to spend a lot of time on it and I was working with an MP3 which presents its own set of challenges. Because of the MP3 you might not want to add as much EQ in the areas I mentioned since you can work from the WAV file.

These changes seem to help with the drum and bass problem. The guitar is another matter, any changes you make there could wipe out your mids and not really enhance the sound.

If you want, I could email you a copy of the MP3. The modified file is a little over 5MB since I converted it to WAV and then back to MP3. This way you could listen to the original and compare to see what tweaks you might want to make.

Let me know.

Overall...I thought is was just basically mid-range heavy...and running thru an EQ...even a 31 band, would help. As a live recording, it serves its purpose very well. Looking for better fidelity, then the can of worms opens!:D I like the audience stuff...glad you kept it in at the beginning

Back