help!!

thegloriaseason

so im a new unexperienced drummer and also very very new to recording. right now im trying to work on the recorded sound of my bass drum and snare.. here is a clip.
if you could give me some tips and constructive criticism i would love it.

It seems to be picking up your kick and snare fine. Obviously it's not a professional recording, but we all look to achieve that in some way. IMO, if you're just looking to produce a recording that just picks up your work, this should do. Can you describe your mic placement and what/how many mics you're using? What kind of kit are you using? And also, what kind of snare are you using and how is it tuned? IMO, it sounds a little weird to me... don't ask me why, lol.

thanks for the comments. im using a slingerland kit that was from the early nineties. i have one nady kick mic on a pillow about 5 inches from the bass drum hole on the front head, a samson r1 vocal mic on the back side on a foam mount i home made facing the beaters on the kick head about 3 inches away. behringer vocal mic on a stand angled toward the center of the top head about 5 inches away. these are all run into a behringer ub2442fx pro mixer into my computer. im getting ready to mic the toms right now but id like to get a better sound on my kick and snare first.

the snare is a slingerland tre cool series. im looking for that cracking sound. ps. im recording with a hardcore/metal band. alot like converge, as i lay dying, dillinger escape plan.

You might wanna try some tape on the snare drum to get rid of some overtones and ringing, that should clear the way for that snare-crack-sound.

But the snare doesnt sound bad, it sounds pretty good, bass drum sounds good. Depending on the music, it could use more deepness or maybe turn the batter around so the plastic hits the head and gives you a click sound.

Just my 2 pasoes.

thanks so much. we're playing hardcore i guess a mix of punk and metal.. i hate to use this as a reference but i guess populairty wise the only band we fit with is the used and lost prophets.

any tips on tuning the toms for a good sound??

Back