Help with USB mixer and cubase

2lim

IU am posting on behalf of some kids who want to get into recording in my area. They bought a Yamaha NW10 usb mixer for their interface. It somes with Cubase(not sure which version). The only problem I have is figuring out how to get it to record the stereo output of the mixer as two seprate tracks. A quick walk through of where to click would be very helpful.

Thanks

Simon

It's probably Cubase LE. You add two tracks, and set them to accept a left and right input each. You need to have your software (Cubase) recognise your hardware (Mixer outputs). I dont have LE, but I think it's under audio preferences.

it is not possible to get 2 seperate tracks (into cubase) as in guitar on one track and say vocals on another, with a usb mixer. you can only get the stereo mix which is all the inputs on your mixer going into cubase on one individual track. i am not totally sure if this is what you were referring to in your question, but thats how i interpreted.

however it also sounded like you wanted to get two tracks from the stereo mix, on seperate tracks in cubase. from what i can make out this may be possible, but there would be no point because they would both be exactly the same (all instruments on each track).

hope this helps

I have a usb mixer and frequently record guitar and bass at the same time, just not in stereo. Stereo IS two tracks. With my mixer I merely have to pan one hard left and one hard right, then setup cubase as telepaul described. TP (I mean no offense by that :) ) just forgot to say that you have to pan one left and one right.

I use the left and right technique too... Then split the stereo track and make both tracks mono... I used to do this in Audacity but now I am new to Cubase - how can I split stereo tracks and make left+right channels mono in Cubase?

Combination of the track view and the mixer view. In the track view, set the "Stereo/Mono" icon to "Mono" in each individual track. In the mixer view (F3) select the proper input for your sound source. (In1 is usually left channel, In2 is usually right channel, etc..). Now all this presumes that the souncard, and it's inputs, are setup in the software. "Devices", "Device Setup", "VST Multitrack".

ndutle said:
I have a usb mixer and frequently record guitar and bass at the same time, just not in stereo. Stereo IS two tracks. With my mixer I merely have to pan one hard left and one hard right, then setup cubase as telepaul described. TP (I mean no offense by that :) ) just forgot to say that you have to pan one left and one right.

Yup, thanks for clarifying bud!

Back