Help with tube head

DTBlalock

I have a Crate Blue voodoo head, and it is much different recording than my previous heads. I don't have much equipment for recording my band...so how would you go about recording this without all of the buzz and dirty noise you get when sending a tube sound to the computer?? (note: no condenser mics..)

Thanks

Well, never EVER record guitar direct. It sounds awful, no matter what you may think at first.

Use a mic, it doesn't have to be a condensor. A cheap Sure SM57 has been used on countless pro and non pro recordings. I have even used a Behringer ECM8000 I got for $19 on guitar cabs and gotten some pretty suprisingly good results.

H2H

So do you think i could get a decent sound with this?:
Fender Strat (with duncan hotrail) into
Crate blue voodoo head 120w into
peavey 5150 cab into
shure PG58 dynamic mic into
old crate mixer (no info) into
dell computer into
kristal studio

is this going to produce decent results as opposed to using a behringer v-amp direct into the computer?

Are you pluging the speaker out of the head directly into your computer?!? :eek:
this is BAD! You'll blow up your soundcard, amp or both!!!!

I think he's using the Shure PG58, right? Sure, you should be able to get something out of that. <ay not be the cleanest sound, but it's rock music who really cares about clean:) Clean sound is overrated in rock music.

H2H

reshp1 said:
Are you pluging the speaker out of the head directly into your computer?!? :eek:
this is BAD! You'll blow up your soundcard, amp or both!!!!

Ya, that is a big issue. But another big issue is IF he is using the DI out, is there a dummy load or speaker still connected? You will kill the amp if there isn't.

Outlaws said:
Ya, that is a big issue. But another big issue is IF he is using the DI out, is there a dummy load or speaker still connected? You will kill the amp if there isn't.

Yeah, this is true. A tube amp needs a load to run happily and efficiently. The output transformer is expecting to see between 16 and 4 ohms, if you don't connect this load (i.e. the speakers) you will cause serious damage.

Back