Help with too deep nut grooves!

hybridsound

Hey. I have a Fernandes Dragonfly (non-Floyd Rose) and I recently had a very thick set of strings on it... I think they were 14-70. Anyway, I need a smaller set to play new material and now that I have the smaller strings on, the bass strings touch the frets and they buzz against them when I try to play. Is there a way to fix this? I need help pronto!

Thanks!

The quick fix....

Get a couple of toothpicks, some superglue, and a flat fine grade file.

What you want to do is file some nut material off the top of the nut (just enough to fill the slot about 1/4 to 1/2 of the depth of the slot) mix it 50/50 with the superglue and fill the slot about half way (toothpicks to stir and apply). Let it dry for a couple of hours (overnight would be better).

Once the glue is dried you can file just a smidge to make the slot smooth, then pop on the string, tune to pitch and test it out. You'll probably have to file (just a few passes at a time to assure you don't go too far), restring and retune several times before you get it just right.

It's supposed to be a temporary fix, but it's up to you if you want to pay somebody to "fix it right".

Good luck!

Most pros use baking soda and superglue. Rub a little baking soda into the slot and hit it with superglue. That combination does something chemically to really harden up.

TNO said:
Most pros use baking soda and superglue. Rub a little baking soda into the slot and hit it with superglue. That combination does something chemically to really harden up.

Dude, are you calling me an amateur!? Most pros I KNOW say baking soda is for sissys. Hahaha...just kidding man.

I just get a little worked up when people throw out "most pros" like it's the freaking ten commandments....Thou SHALT use baking soda! (Godlike voice speaking) Hahaha

Thanks a lot guys. I will definitely try those. I don't know what I'd do if it werent for you... Yeah I do! I'd still be using wadded up pieces of notebook paper. Ha ha!

Back