help with tascam 4x4 with windows 7...tht last little noise...

dadio917

Hi - just registered to the forum. Looks great!

I've been using a behringer mixer with usb out connected to an old lenovo xp laptop. Mostly my wife on uke, me on guitar and a couple of mics. Just got the Tascam to try multi track recording. Also inherited my wife's 3 year old Lenovo with win7.

Got everything working but have a little pop, crackle or drop out when recording sound. seems like intervals of .6-1.2S. Have read this could be a cpu unitization problem of buffer overrun. Followed the Tascam recommendations and trouble shooting faqs. Have killed every app and process I can find with msconfig and enditall. turned off wifi and wifi genie. cpu utilization while recording is well less than 10%. Have reinstalled Tascam drivers, twiddled with buffer size and sample rate, tried all usb and Tascam ports. all to no avail.

Was hoping to get some hints on a solution from the forum?????

Looked on this site for a win7 configure guide but couldn't find anything.

so....thanks!

symptoms on both ableton lite and cakewalk LE that came with the Tascam. Tried varying the buffer sizes.

But...FIXED IT!
found this turorial
Learn - Optimizing Windows® Vista and Windows 7 for Music Production | PreSonus

went through each section to no avail until I got to page 4 and disabled ALL start up SW except Microsoft stuff. My theory is there are a couple of Lenovo management tools that started up and caused some grief. Since it seems to be working I'll not go back and isolate which one was the culprit but get on with playing.

Hopefully this thread might help someone else.
Cheers!

Back