HELP! with tape hiss

MAC2

I'm hoping someone on this board could help me out with eliminating or minimizing tape hiss from a 24 year old cassette recording of some songs I did with this band way back then.

I managed to get it on to a cd and then loaded it into the PowerTracks program on my pc. From there I tried to do the best I could to re-EQ the file but still couldn't eliminate the hiss. The tape was made at an 8 track studio and has been sitting in a cabinet for all these years....anyway, I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a method or program that would help to "digitally" resurrect my blast from the past.

What I did with the recording so far can be found here:http://www.sectionz.net/m04010101.asp?flooperTag=BTM&mp3ID=576

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated....I'm trying to preserve this little bit of history and maybe even improve it a little bit if I can.

MAC2 said:
I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a method or program that would help to "digitally" resurrect my blast from the past.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated....I'm trying to preserve this little bit of history and maybe even improve it a little bit if I can. [/B]

hi mac !

there are a lot of different companies selling programs to renew old recordings (for example Dart Pro 98, Diamond Cut Tools, Steinberg Clean, some DeNoise DX Plugins from Steinberg, Arboretum, Sonic Foundry ) in real time.
One of the best results (in my opinion) I could reach with cool edit pro. with this tool you can analyse a short sample (e.g. 1 s at the beginning of the tape) of pure hiss and subtract the spectum of the hiss from the whole audio file. This process is offline and can take some time.
I tried out several of these programs with classical recordings from the early 60th and late 50th as well as with old tape recordings from my school band (between 30 and 20 years old). The most realistic sound without losing the high frequencies I could reach with offline processing and cool edit pro.

regards
zadar

Thanks zadar!....I'll check into that. I was hoping there was something that performs like what you said cool edit pro can do.

Hey Mac...

I converted your MP3 to a .wav and pulled it into my editor. From there I used my mastering EQ program and applied a -24dB notch cut at 20000Hz with a Q of 0.3.

To bring back some of the highs I boosted 12K about 5 or 6 dB with a Q of 0.7

I don't have my good monitors yet but it appeared to help.

I can eMail you the changed mp3 if you want to take a listen....although I must say it's tough to pull out tape hiss without loosing all the brightness. Let me know.

I've got a few de-noising programs so I'll try those and see if I get a better result.

zip >>

this board drives me nuts sometimes....

Why is it lately I get the eMail notice and there is NO reply...WTF??

Monte...you out there?? :D

MAC2...still need that eMail addy. I sent you a private message via the board but I don't think you can attach anything there...

zip >>

Back