Help with taming noisy palm mutings

zombieholic

hello everyone, i play heavy metal music. and of course i have heavy distortion on my guitar. when i palm mute, or when i muffle the strings after playing a heavy note, there is always some really bassy part that distorts the whole recording that jumps up as a result of the muffle or palm mute. should i use a compressor on this? or i was thinking about getting a guitar preamp like the pod line 6. please help me out on this. i am using a ibanez rg270, and a boss distortion "metal zone" pedal. i run the guitar to the pedal and then right to the recorder. i have been using an analog fostex xr-3, but in a few days i will be getting a digital yamaha md8. thanks for any help you can give me.

ryan

I just set my levels where they won't clip as a result of the palm mute, which is probably the loudest sound you are making...

S8-N

Heh, I had this same problem. I don't play metal but I think I can help you out a little bit.

TURN DOWN THE BASS END! Listen to a couple recordings that you really like and notice how trebely the guitars actually are... though they might *sound* deeper in the mix. The kick drum and bass guitar are responsible for the real heaviness of most metal in my opinion.

I was having this same exact problem with a grungy tune that I'm currently working on. All I had to do was switch to the bridge pickup and problem solved. The guitar didn't sound quite as cool by itself, but in the overall mix it sounded great.

I don't think that compression will help too much with this. You might also lessen the sustain and/or reverb and/or distortion levels which will help clear up muting quite a bit. A POD would probably help a lot with your direct input sound, but it really won't help the overall problem of too much low end.

Slackmaster 2000

I'm not 100% sure about this, but the Metal Zone pedal doesn't have a speaker simulator on it, does it? If not, that could be part of your problem.

Back