Help with small room

Humbardi

Hi All :
I have an small room ( 3mts (9,8 ft) width )x2.5 mts (8,2 ft) length) by 2.65 mts (8,7 ft) high . I moved my Macbook, microphone ( Shure SM57), tenor sax, piano and Lexicon interfase , seinhaser headphones ( i do not have studio speakers, only a home audio equipment ) and adapted it as a recording room.
I find that i get too much reverb in this room ( it has not been accoustically isolated yet). Do I need to use a bigger size room in order to improve in this area, or this room size is enough ( if I make the isolation ) ?
what could be the "minimun" size a recording room must have in order to have good acoustics ? ( to record a saxophone , and later a guitar and flute )
Best wishes. I appreciate your advise.
Humbardi

You're not talking isolation. That is a completely different subject. You're asking about treatment. Yes, a small room with no acoustic treatment is bad. If you can record in a bigger room, you should. So long as it sounds nice. If you're stuck in your small studio, then you need to treat it.

Also, you posted your question in someone else's thread, so I moved it to its own thread.

Humbardi,

Yes, you need treatment. As already stated, larger=better.

It is best if you can get room dimensions that support good modal distribution, but you MUST have proper treatment to be able to mix comfortably/accurately. There are several docs and calculators on my publications page that are free to download. Enjoy!
Continue to post your questions here.

Cheers,
John

You're not getting reverb in a room that small, but you are probably getting flutter echo if the surfaces are hard (sheetrock, etc).

Back