Help with setting up proper mic trim levels

StupidKid

I need a little help setting up the mic'ing of my kit.
My setup is a little umm.. makeshift you could say. Basically I use my computer which has 2 sound cards, so thats 2 stereo line ins.
I have one Mixer which has (3toms,HH,and 4 cymbals) all eq'ed and ready for input.
The second mixer has the (Bass drum, and snare mics) these are uneq'ed and one panned to each side to provide seperation in the mix.
So basically track 1 is Snare drum, track 2 is Bass drum, and track 3 is everything else.(not good but i cant afford protools :)
Basically I have 2 nady drum mic kits with BD mic on the bass drum drum mics for everything else, and a sm-57 on my snare drum.

My questions is I am having trouble setting up my seperation per channels. It seems when i have my trim to low on my snare it is very clean but is lacking the best part of the starclassic snare. and when i give it more trim it picks up a lot of my hihat. I am not a beginner at recording, but nor have i had classes. The trim (i think) is the voltage given to the mic which means how sensitive it is. I would really like some advice on what i should give my snare.. toms. cymbals etc... Right now i can get a pretty good sound, but I could get an awesome sound if I knew how to set up the input of my microphones. Any help or advice would definately be appreciated.

(sorry for being lengthy) -Alex

Back