Help with Set-up

teetopkram

Greetings everyone:

I have a 10 year old Yamaha PSR-510 keyboard, a cheap unit with some decent sounds and MIDI in/out. I also have a spare Macintosh G4 desktop unit, 60 MB HD, Firewire and USB, with nothing to use it for (with only 10 MB RAM and 400 MHz, it doesn't have enough power for recording).

I am thinking about using the G4 as a virtual synth unit, with the PSR-510 as a controller. I'll then run this into my Powerbook for recording. However, other than a few virtual synth sounds I have downloaded, I don't have any additional hardware.

Can someone please tell me what I would need in order to make this work...e.g., MIDI interface, any PCI cards, what type of software to run the virtual synth plugsins, etc? Also, any recommendations on specific brands or models of equipment?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

You will need (not really NEED, but it makes everything that follows much easier) a USB or Firewire interface. M-Audio, Edirol, Tascam etc make good ones --- you'll need to read up on these.

Then you need to go to kvraudio.com and download some softsynths.

Do you mean a MIDI interface with the computer via either USB or Firewire?

Once I get that and download some softsynths, do I need any other type of computer to run the softsynths (or are they stand-alone applications)?

Mark

Back