Help with set up in particular midi keyboard

tmidd12

Hello:
This may be a long thread so I apologize for making this long

Anyway, I am new to home recording. I just purchased a macbook pro computer. I am wondering what the best interface would be first of all.

I also have a midi control keyboard. How will I hook it up? What is the best way to get it hooked up. I plan out starting with garageband then eventually getting logic pro.

Also, the midi keyboard I have is missing software that I bougt with it. I lost it. I also lost the cables to it. Any idea where I coudl get the software or cables (as you can tell I am a very newbie)? It is an EMU something.
Thanks
Travis

Um.... on the interwebs you should be able to find the software and an owners manual for an EMU something.

Then you need at least one MIDI cable. Also on the webs.

"Best" interface is a bit trickier. If you just want to record two tracks at the same time you might look into MAudio stuff. I'm sure you will get other suggestions besides this one.

M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Sweetwater.com

Then you need monitors or headphones at the very least. A hardware mixer is handy too. Depends how deep into this you want to go.

IHNI about MAudio compatibility with Garageband or Logic. If you check their websites they can give you some ideas about which hardware interfaces work best with those programs.

Check to see if your macbook specs are compatible. The FTP will do MIDI in and out too.

Also if/when you eventually go to logic pro. If you have an ipad you can use it as a control surface using "TouchOSC".

Depending on how new your keyboard is you might make sure there is no USB plug on it. If so, the mac probably has a drive for it already just plug it in and load up Garageband. Keyboards I bought back in 2002 or so already had a USB plug on it that is recognized by default.

Back