Help with recording set-up for Drums

Rhat

New to sound but have been a drummer for years and college trained.

I am looking for help accomplishing a couple of tasks via one method. I am wanting to take 7-8 drum mics for my kit that I already have and:

1) Run them to my MacBook Pro for recording.
2) Be able to mix them in my in-ears/head-phones to hear them well while playing to music/recording.

I have read that I don't need a mixer but just a firewire interface to run to the MacBook Pro where I could then mix via the recording software, but can what I mix on the MacBook Pro also control the levels in my ears, or do I have to have a mixer on the front end for that? I would assume it would be the same as if I was running the drums to monitors, but wanted to make sure I could do this with a CD playing so that I could play to music when not recording.

Also, will either a mixer or interface be able to split the tracks on a pre-recorded CD/mp3 (someone else's recording) so that I can pull the drum tracks/track out for practicing to CD's/mp3's?

Based on recommendations of the route to go, can you also offer some equipment recommendations if my budget is close to $300-$400 (if that budget is even possible)?

As an example, if I just used the Zoom R16 (http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--ZOMR16) as an interface to my computer, could i also plug in cd player/iPod to here music and my drums as I play (outside of recording)...just not sure the route I should go.

Also, even though USB, it says I could record 8 tracks simultaneously...does that mean I could master the 8 tracks seperately unlike earlier USB interfaces that would send one/two stereo tracks to CPU?

1) Something along the lines of the PreSonus FireStudio http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--PRSFSPROJECT is probably about as cheap & decent as you're going to get. AFAICT, that Zoom thing is self-contained and rather limited.

2) Uh... No, you can't magically disassemble a mix into it's individual elements. Just as you can't take a cake and break it down into flour, sugar and eggs.

3) MIXING. Not "mastering." You don't "master" your 8 individual tracks.

OK, but would I have a line in with the PreSonus route to plug in my iPod/CD player etc. like I stated in #2?

Also, reading through the spec it seems that the Zoom R16 and PreSonus are varily similar as far as what they deliver. Like i said, I am new at this so help me out on what makes the Zoom "self-contained and limited" compared to the PreSonus?

OK, but would I have a line in with the PreSonus route to plug in my iPod/CD player etc. like I stated in #2?

What's wrong with playing CDs or MP3s on the Macbook? I assume you probably have the music library from your iPod on the Macbook already :)

Back