Help with recording chain for tracking only studio (long)

opdev

I have a pretty specific project studio in mind for 2010. I wanted to get some advice so I have written a fairly detailed description of what I want to accomplish. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this very long post and respond to it….

The studio will be recording mostly blues, blues rock and “roots” type music. The emphasis will be on obtaining excellent guitar tone as well as being able to record a live band. The instruments we are dealing with are primarily vocal, guitar, bass, drums. We will also have to record horns, Hammond organ and harmonica.

This is a tracking studio only. We plan on doing live band recording or even guitar only overdubs that a player brings in. Mixing will be done by a professional engineer but not at our facility. The same engineer will be present during the recording sessions. We also have two national names that will produce for us (for a fee obviously)

The room is not ideal (low ceilings). However, we are working on solot of DIY sound treatments and believe we will tune the room to sound as good as it can. I have learned a ton on gearslutz re: how to treat the room.

I will end up with more questions, but for now, I want to focus on our guitar signal since it’s our flagship offering.

Let me go through the chain…

The Players

Most of the players are very high caliber local musicians. They excel at mostly guitar or harp based music, have recorded before and have professional ability. My business partner is very plugged into both the local and national scene so he is the one that will recruit these type of clients

The second player is the advanced hobbiest with disposable income to put into a CD. I know tons of guys like this (in fact, I am one of them). In this case, we will have a very capable band available to help them achieve their goals. This will most likely be an average to very good guitarist doing originals or blues covers.

Bottom line is that the rhythm section will always be tight.

The Instruments

We have a significant amount of killer sounding guitars and amps. Some of these pieces are in the top of what I have ever heard and played. Live, these instruments can cause a jaw dropping effect when played by a capable player.

The guitars available are mostly 50’s Gibsons including ES-175, 1959 ES-335, 1959 ES-330, Les Paul Jrs, Specials, etc. There are also some vintage teles and quiky Danelectro, Silvertone, Kay, etc.

Amplifiers include a fine collection of Fender Tweed, Brown, and Blackface amps. In addition, we have a serious collection of some of the best sounding vintage Gibson and Ampeg amps. All maintained by a local amp tech legend. The tweed amps include ’55 Princeton, ’55 Tweed Deluxe, ’59 Tremolux, ’59 Bassman, ’59 Super, ’57 Pro . Blackface includes ’64 DR, ’65 Super Reverb., ’67 Pro Reverb, ’66 Vibrolux Reverb. There are great Ampegs like the Super Echo Twin, Reverbrocket and VT-40. There are fantastic Gibsons including GA-20, GA-40, GA-55. Also, some typical off brand, Supro, Valco, Oahu stuff that is used in a lot of Blues circles.

Drums are vintage Ludwig, bass amp is classic Ampeg and we have a Hammond C1 with Leslie.

So now we are coming to where I need to complete this signal chain.

Mics. (here is where questions start)

Currently, I have a pretty bare bones mic collection including a few Neumann TLM103’s and KM184s. I have a Cascade Fathead, SM57’s, Sennheisser e906.

I want to get a few more mics that will excel at capturing the wonderful tone of these players, guitars and amps. Maybe a few various mics or maybe one killer mic.

I love vintage gear and would like to spend more money on mics, pres than I do on computer do-dads and DAW stuff.

I thought about maybe a Royer 121 ribbon or some other better ribbon than my Cascade which sounds really dark to me. I also thought about going with some old vintage mics like Shure 330 or SM33. These were recommended to me by a great blues guitarist.

On the most expensive side, I read so many wonderful things about something like a U67. They are expensive for sure but what does it take to really keep an amazing signal chain going here…. Since I know I can probably get most of my money back on something like that, the idea intrigues me.

But I don’t want to buy some crazy expensive mic just because it’s expensive. I want to buy the right mics for the job. I have to assume that there are better/worse mics depending on the guitar/amp combo used. Also, buying a mic like that will require me to really scrimp in other areas….

Preamps.

I don’t want to invest a ton in preamps right now and I am even wiling to rent them for awhile to better understand the flavors. However, I think at least one decent pre is required for this chain.

Keep in mind I need probably 16 channels to record a band. I want to get something decent to record drums, bass, etc but I am limited to maybe one good $1000-$2500 pre for the guitar mics. I love buying stuff that holds value (ie vintage amps over boutique amps)

Also, what’s “good enough” for drums, bass, etc….. And what are some suggestions for the “golden” signal chain.

DAW/Interface
Because we have an engineer that will mix in his studio, we have decided on ProTools. I am not sure if we really need an HD system but I am hoping no. If I did need HD, it would really cramp my budget for mics and pres. I was planning on starting with the 003 rack or control interface.

Should I consider an older PCI (used) HD version as well?

Converters
I have almost zero knowledge here. Are the converters in the 003 good enough or do I have to somehow bypass them and use something better. I hope not but I can use some help here. I am not even sure of the signal flow using converters not part of the interface

Computer.
I’ll probably wait for the new Mac Pros (if I decide to buy a new mac). For starters, I have a decent 4 year old PC that was configured as a mobile workstation for my big number crunching and CAD needs.

It’s a dual core AMD with 4GB RAM. Nothing special but a capable machine (4 years ago). I hope it’s good enough to get rolling.

If really needed I can buy a new mac or PC now but I’d rather not try and buy everything new right off the bat and I’d rather wait for the new macs if we decide to go that route.

Monitors
I don’t know much about them. I have a basic set of Yamaha’sHS50m’s at home but I only mess around. Ideally a $1K budget since I am not mixing on these. But I do need to know our recording is good. There will not be a separate monitoring or mixing room. The DAW, computers, monitors, etc will be in the tracking room.

Summary

So, the studio goals are…..
Tracking of guitar centric blues/roots
Emphasis on our great collection of musicians and great sounding instruments.
Professional engineer at the sessions.
Professional engineer for mixing
ProTools (LE) for compatibility with our engineers mixing system (ProTools HD)

My Requirements/Desires
16 channels for full band recording.
Great Mic/Pre’s for the “golden chain” (guitar amps)
Very Good mics/pres for the rest of the channels.
Good monitors to insure our tracking is good (but not mixing on them).
Need help deciding on interface/converters

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

So. Treated room. Great instrument and amp collection (No Strats???) Players. Da Blooz.

ProTools. And you need sixteen channels and ONE golden channel or more than one "golden channel" ?

When you say you have a bare bones mic collection and then say you have 'several' TLM103's and KM184's I'm thinking 'Bare Bones???' Huh?

So you have overheads for the drummer as well as a snare and hihat mic. Truth is, theres not a lot better than the KM184 for all things drums. A GREAT snare mic. A GREAT overhead mic. One thing. You're going to want to establish a drum booth of some sort. To properly flesh out great sound, the drums have to be big and clear. Since you dont have heighth you have to have control. I'm not talking an unnatural sound like a heavy rock record, but something that you can get all involved, going at the same time with minimal bleed. So, for Da Blooz, the room cannot be too dead.

Signal chain for this should include 4 channels of great pres for the kik and the snare. I record a lot of blues and roots music. I like to really capture the kik and snare in a great way and leave everything else on the kit to the overheads. Close micing a blues kit isnt necessary. As long as you can get the pressence and impact of the toms for Rumbas and Cha Cha beats then you have all you need. The snare has to be great as well as the kik.

API 3124 for this. Its the preamp for drums of any kind. 4 channels of hugeness. And clarity with attitude. A LDD on the inside and a condenser outside of the kik. KM184 on top and bottom through that pre and you're halfway home. A couple of 184's over and a room mic. The room mic can be a flavor if you will. Ribbon for some darkness or a nice condenser for some light. I like the AT4033 as a room mic. It doesnt slew the cymbals and adds that little tick to the snare attack.

I recommend a dedicated bass preamp for bass. Having an amp is great and all, but the advantages of going direct when tracking all at once makes things so much easier. Tube bass pre with a Fender tone stack. Leo got it right back in 1953. Alembic, SWR, Demeter, and also check out the Conrad Bass pre.

Getting all of this in order will make capturing the guitar tones so much easier. I still like Large Diaphram Dynamics on guitar amps. And 57's. You have most of what you need for this purpose. Most of the secret to really getting the amps to sing and capturing this magic is in the players hands. Your purpose is to help with the small details and keep the equipment from ruining any chance it might have to do this task. Proper isolation of the amp from the rest of the instruments is paramount. A space large enough to let the amp really work is important. Isolating the amp from any physical coupling is very important. Signal chain should be clean and clear enough to not color up the tones from these wonderful old amps. (I've owned several of your list....my favorite was my 60 Tweed Tremolux....sigh....) I like the EV RE27, Heil PR40, 57, Sennheiser MD409 is a great guitar amp mic, and of course the Royers. The new Shure ribbons look extremely promising. As I said, you're going to want a pre with a complete spectrum of response, but since you are looking to capture the essence of these old amps, you dont want as much color as a rock god might like to hear.

A Golden Chain might consist of any one of several incredible mic pres, a great compressor, honest EQ and flexibility like variable impedance on the mic input. If you want to get a serious chain, I'd look to DW Fearn, Great River, ViPre, Nevealikes.....When you choose a compressor, consult your engineer and find out what style of compressor he prefers. The optical does one thing, the VCR another, while the diode-based still another.

Since it sounds like you're going to be DAW based with outboard, recommending a console doesnt seem appropriate. But if you want to spend your cash wisely and want to retain its value, a reconditioned vintage type of console would certainly go a long way to suiting the kind of music you have in mind as well as the type and level of players you describe. And really, it cuts down on the amount of specialty outboard you would need to look at. Theres maintainence to consider, but in the long run, a rebuilt and freshened quality console does a lot of things well and certainly allows for live recordings at a high quality.

Oh, and 24 channels 9 or 10 feet long with a bunch of knobs and blinking lights with LCD meters looks cool as heck! Pretty easy to get inspired in a nice facility with a big old console working....

Monitors. Genelec. Focal. Large Tannoys. ProAc. The list is endless.You have to learn them anyway.....

Back